Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unisaw questions

Im back with the saw

Hi guys,
    Well I did it, brought it to my shop last wednesday. Research that you guys directed me to indicates it is a 1939 and all original I think. Only the switch lever is in question in my mind. I would like to attach a picture but I dont know how. Has a 1 hp RI motor. Runs quiet, and cuts well. Well maybe I figured out how to attach a pic. Again thanks a million for all your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick, That is a SCORE a four footed Unisaw is Prized! They are the most sought after, you got yourself a really nice machine much older then the '50s perhaps 1939 or 1940.
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    Get yourself over to OWWM.com, look up the date it was made and post it there. There is a lot of help on maintenance and rebuilding if you desire on that Forum.
    How do the arbor bearings feel? Any noise or roughness? They are easy and inexpensive to replace if needed.
    Welcome to the Old Uni Club.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Young WY View Post
    Hi guys,
    Well I did it, brought it to my shop last wednesday. Research that you guys directed me to indicates it is a 1939 and all original I think. Only the switch lever is in question in my mind. I would like to attach a picture but I dont know how. Has a 1 hp RI motor. Runs quiet, and cuts well. Well maybe I figured out how to attach a pic. Again thanks a million for all your help.

HOLY COW!!!! What a fantastic find! Trust me, you will love that machine, and it is very highly prized as well. 1939??? Doesn't get more gloatable than that.

4. What is the serial number on that saw? Should be on the angle indicator plate.

Very nice and very original looking saw. As other have said very sought after. 4 footers were only 1939 and I think a few 1940 models. Then they went to the solid base. The shapers keep the 4 feet till at least '46 cause mine has them. The solid front door it extremely rare too. Don't let someone talk you out of that door!

Your did good with that. The saw is not going to bring a ton more money than a latter year model. But that dust door would!

The "four footed" unis are the rarest and most highly sought after. Score!
    David DeCristoforo

you are one lucky guy nice score

Wow!!!

I posted a little while ago giving serial number and two more pictures. I has never appeared, I must have not done it right.

The serial number is H 190.

I feel real fortunate to have found this saw and the shape it is in for as old as it is.

Rick

Now why didn't you say it was a 4 footer, original switch, original dust door, R/I motor, and looks complete and in good condition? That changes everything. Congrats on a very rare find. There is a guy selling goose egg repos for about $100 on the bay or woodnet if you want to go that route.

Just to clarify a few things:

The machines that used a 1725 RPM motor turn the arbor at 3200 rpm. They use the same 2-pulley 3 belt arrangements as all Unisaws, the pulleys are just sized for the motor speed.

Everyone hears about $100 unisaws, but they're hardly common, at least in in passable condition.

The most important things about any old machine are condition and completeness. They determine how much additional money will have to go into it. $500 would be a deal for a complete single phase machine, where a damaged 3PH machine might cost a home woodworker more than a new one to put in service. With vintage unisaws, certain parts have "collector" value that may push up the price, such as the goose egg and original switch.

Pete

Pete

Oops, I responded before I saw the second page.

Really nice score. Got the miter gauge too.

Please add it to the Delta machine registry over at OWWM.com. Unlike later machines, the serial number on this one is punched into the tilt gauge.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 06-22-2008 at 11:19 AM.

I currently have a 3hp Unisaw and used an 1hp for years. I don't remember a noticeable difference in power. The 1hp was physically at least half again larger and that may explain why there's not much difference.