Thread: My PM3620 Stopped Momentarily. What's Up?

My PM3620 Stopped Momentarily. What's Up?

Something strange happened today when I was roughing out a 15 inch Maple bowl. I had roughed out the outside, and was just starting on the inside and during the middle of a cut, it just stopped. I was going at about 800 RPM's. I had noticed a little belt slippage when roughing out the outside, and tightened the belt for the first time since I have had the lathe (got it in February of this year). I switched it on and off, nothing but a red 0 in the display. I switched the reverse switch and tried again. Nothing. Then I unplugged the lathe, waited for the inverter to completely shut down, waited a few more seconds, and plugged it back in. Everything worked fine and had no more problems.

Has this happened to any of you mustard owners? What is it and should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Jeff

I mistyped, meant PM 3520B.

I have tripped the reset button so many times on my PM, I could find the button blindfolded. Mostly it came from really hogging off a lot of material. You can over heat it a bit some times,especially if it is hot in your shop. Also, a catch where you stall the wood, and the belt doesn't slip can cause it to trip. If you do this a couple of times in a row, without tripping, a smaller catch can cause it to trip. Mine was an A model, but I don't think there is too much difference.
    robo hippy

It happens

Yes, I had this happen on my "model C" a couple of times when I was coring a large blank. I make sure the LED on the inverter is low, no higher than 50, with the belt on the slow pulley.

Jeff, I have the little brother to what you have but have experienced the same problem a few times. Found that when I am in low range and hog off a lot of material the motor tends to warm up - not hot - but warm. As the blank becomes balanced I turn the speed up - which tends to add to the warmth factor. If I take to much wood off at a time I can cause the belt to slip which trips the breaker. I have found that once the blank is a little balanced - to change the belt to the high range and I no longer have any problems. It seems like eventually running the blank at 600 to 800 on the low range heats things up and if I just take a moment and switch over to the high range when I get to around 500 I don't have any problems.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I had a similar occurance with my Jet 1642. Had a catch that stalled the motor long enough to shut down. It would not restart even after I removed the power, must not have waited long enough. I ended up pressing the "reset" on the inverter and it started up and has been working ever since. Sounds like it is protecting the motor and the inverter when too much current is being drawn. This has only happened once, but concerned me that I got a lemon.

john

I have hogged off some purty heavy stuff & this hasn't happened to
    me "Yet" I have had the belt squeal a few times when using the
    McNaughton to core bowls. I do have AC in my shop, also I ran
    #10 wire & put it on a 30 amp breaker.

Thanks for the help, I too was concerned that something was wrong. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for all the insight!

Jeff