Thread: Pen Question?

Pen Question?

What is the difference between a ball point pen and a roller ball pen? It may be a dumb question but I've been wondering for awhile.

Thanks.

From a quick web search

The pens use very similar technology to function, however the ballpoint pen was perfected long before the rollerball. The ballpoint uses a much thicker oil based ink that is picked up by a small ball bearing and is deposited onto the page as it rolls across. Because the ink is so thick and is not water-based the ballpoint refill will take many many months to dry up and need a new refilll. This is why ballpoint pens are able to function with a click or a twist and require no cap.

Rollerball pens use a water-based ink that is identical in many cases to the ink used in a fountain pen. All water-based rollerball pens require a cap. If the cap is left off of your rollerball for too long a period of time the pen will definitely dry out and you'll need a new refill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Myers View Post
    All water-based rollerball pens require a cap. If the cap is left off of your rollerball for too long a period of time the pen will definitely dry out and you'll need a new refill.

There are capless roller refills available.

Good to know

All the ones I have are capped since that is all I have made so far.

It is nice to know that if I choose I can try and make a closed end capless pen and still get the better ink in a rollerball.

Thank you

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

You might be interested in the following link. It gives brief descriptions of the different insert types (scroll down the page). They also sell a variety of replacement inserts, some that I have not seen elsewhere.

http://www.coloradopen.com/category/pen-refills

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Much more basically:
    they both use the mechanism where a solid ball, catured at the end of the refill, picks up fluid ink and rolls it on to the paper in the direction of travel, however...
    Rollerball ink is much thinner, thus the balls are sometimes smaller, the passage between the ball and its capturing "wings" is slimmer (and is easier to get these clogged) and rollers sometimes use ceramic balls, instead of metal balls. I like em!