Thread: flag/medal display shadow box

flag/medal display shadow box

My dad retired from the Army with 21 years service. He served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He was a military policeman most of the time. He passed away 3 years ago this October. I've been wanting to build a display for his flag for a while, and finally felt it was time. I still have several things to put in that my mom is looking for. The wood is curly maple.

God bless those who serve and all those who have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Case

John,I love that curly maple.Your case looks fantastic!!Your Mom will love it.

That looks great !!!!

great work

John,
    Nice work, the case looks great. I just finished a similar project to give to my father on fathers day in memory of my grandfather who passed away 2 years ago. I know how meaningful it must have been for you to make this. I've attached a pic of the case I made. Comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very good thought and job on that case.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

John and Jack, I applaud you both for taking the time to build a case to properly display our national ensign. I especially thank you for taking the time to gather together mementos of your fathers service.

I've been in the Navy 22 years (as of Monday) and I've seen hundreds of shadow boxes given to personnel retiring. But when someone just gets out, it's very uncommon. It was nonexistant back in WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. So the first time these heros have a flag is when it's draped across their coffins. Although, more than 50% of veterans do not have a full-honors military burial, mostly out of not knowing they are entitled to it! Afterwards, these flags are typically kept in the plastic zippered case they came in which is a real shame.

Recently, the DoD changed it's military funerals honor program. Now, all flags are presented grave-side but the family receives a shadow box as well for proper display.

Again - THANK YOU for taking the time to properly honor your family members service and display of that for which they served.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 07-05-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo