Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What KVA UPS

Epilog said my 45W laser uses 880 Watts. I doubt that the power factor is 1.0 so I would bet KVA is more like 35% higher, maybe ~1200VA. But the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION is what are you protecting against? Surges, brownouts, off frequency, or maybe complete power loss but need to keep working? Each calls for a different stategy. (Many UPS have very poor over-voltage protection - except extreme surge blocking - but provide power in case of mains failure.)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

@John Noell

basically i want my protect my machine from high pulse or fluctuating power supply and i just want a back-up of 10mins just to shutdown my machine properly as i have mentioned 1 of my original motherboard has burnt and i got a replacement from the company dealer and that new motherboard also burnt out within 1 week and i bared a loss of indian Rs. 52,000 for paying custom

Jay,
    Now I understand your paranoia. Here is a thought, if Epilog is using the same power supply as in the models here it is rated for ~90-260VAC and if you are running it at 220V then there is a small margin for over voltage. I would suggest instead of Isolation transformer use it as a 220-110V transformer and use it in 110VAC. This coupled with a good surge protector might be more economical.

Technically this laser board should be as robust as any PC connected to the same power line, if you don't have PC's blowing up then this Motherboard should also not be blowing up.

With a UPS (Edit) you are again limited to the robustness of the converter. If the converter supplies over voltage at any time you might land up with the same situation.

Kim
    Last edited by Kim Vellore; 07-10-2008 at 1:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    I am not sure why you need a UPS, a voltage stabilizer and a surge protector would make sense. Anyway, the laser uses a 48V power supplying it and even if it supplies 20A at 48V your power will be <1100W considering reasonable efficiency. That is 1.1KVA, now you will be expected to run the blower, PC and the compressor with the same UPS, else you could be lasering without exhaust which may be used for the laser tube cooling. Just add their KVA to this number and you will get a KVA number to look for your UPS.

Now how long do you expect to run the laser on the UPS, if you need it for a couple of hours, you will land up with a lot of big batteries and chargers that go with it.

Isolation transformer? why do you need this for. Maybe you should ask your 'Co Agents' for their reasoning for all this and if it makes sense ask them to recommend you one.

Kim
    (1) a proper sized and rated UpS from apic can do a proper shutdown of your system for you.
    (2) To loose power on most modern electronics is not nearly as bad as having one go off-on-off-on-off0on etc..in the event of an thunder storm.
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !

thanks for your replys i have a 1KVA UPS and 99% i guess its fine and the problem occured wasn't due to that i would like to ask you people and would like you people to suggest me

on my epilog mini 18x12 35watts motherboard there is a U31 IC EFEB 8919 (3430) this chip has burnt can you people please let me know what would be the reason for this chip to burn and person who had technical knowledge about this motherboard can help out.

(please can anyone provide me the diagram of the motherboard of epilog mini 18x12 35watts)