Thread: Where to get 100% tung oil and general finishes arm-r-seal?

Question Where to get 100% tung oil and general finishes arm-r-seal?

Hey everyone!

Im looking to get some 100% real tung oil to use in some home trial concotions for finishing african mahogany and walnut. I mistakenly bought tung oil finish at my local hardware store. I didn't know that this wasnt tung oil till reading posts later on this site. So where would one find true tung oil at a decent price? I am also looking for General Finishes ''arm-r-seal'' i believe. Ive read alot of people recomend this product.

As for mixtures.... I recently got a recipe for a finish mixture out of last months fine woodworking called ''how to hotrod your varnish'' has anyone used this? or can you recomend something else?

Thanks in advanced. I consider myself a fairly good woodworker however a poor finisher.

Brett G.

You can get General Finishes ''arm-r-seal'' form Woodcraft . Randy

Brett, pure Tung Oil is available from the better retailers, such as Lee Valley, Woodcraft, etc. But honestly, use BLO. You will not be able to tell the difference visually, it cures a LOT faster (and with less restrictions to time to overcoat) and is major less money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brett,
    Caution... 100% tung oil alone is very challenging to use. It lends itself better when mixed with BLO and POLY.
    I tried using it by itself one time and it was not a pleasant experience. It was difficult to make even applications and as Jim mentioned, the dry time was terrible. When all said and done, I didn't like the way the finished turned out even after tweaking it and letting it dry forever. I wound up refinishing that project all together. Never again.
    I am sure there will be someone to post in favor of it but not I.

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"