Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New K-Body Clamps

Thumbs up New K-Body Clamps

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...ies+Going.aspx

New Bessey K-Body clamps coming soon..take a look! What do you think?
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 07-16-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Correct link
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Richard, your link didn't work for me.

I love my "older" Bessey's
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I have lots of bessey clamps. 8-10 of the 12,24, and 32". 6 each of the 40, 50, and of the 60. I'd like a few of the really long ones for when I do larger case work. I just can't stomach the shipping charges. Any suggestions on how to get some 96" ones? I'd like 6 cheap. Nearly all of mine are 15 years old. The old style is fine for me...joe

Joe, what about using the clamp extenders - $16. You could use the 50" and 60" to make up long ones. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20157

Looks very similar to the old Sta-Bil clamps. I heard Bessey had bought out Sta-Bil and closed them out but only to reemerge as a Bessey/Sta-Bil hybrid That seems like a weird marketing scheme.

Reminds me of the time Coca-Cola introduced "New" Coke.

But... I'm willing to give them a look, but in the meantime take better care of my 'classic' K-bodies.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Hm. Hopefully someone will have a huge closeout sale on the old style. The 25% off at WC didn't tempt me enough...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

[quote=richard poitras] I shied away from earlier-model K Bodies due to their slippery wooden handles; it felt like I couldn't tighten them enough to get adequate pressure with my glue-ups. [quote]

A problem easily solved by drilling a hole in the handle and use the shaft of a long screw driver or something similar & use that as a lever through the handle.
    Works for me.

Greg

I saw an article where someone chiseled long gouges up and down the length of the handles for better grip also.

I'm not impressed with the new clamps. As far as I'm concerned there was nothing wrong with the old ones. The wooden handles were fine for torquing. If you need more pressure than that there's something wrong with the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Reminds me of the time Coca-Cola introduced "New" Coke.

But... I'm willing to give them a look, but in the meantime take better care of my 'classic' K-bodies.
    I worked at Publix as a stockboy when that happened. You would have thought that the original Coke was liquid plutoneum the way those cases and 12 paks flew off the shelves. I remember one woman screaming at a manager about being out of stock...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

The last batch of classic Besseys I got off the web has the new handles. Nice, comfortable and can be tightened without hands slipping. That said, I still love my old style wood handled Besseys. I have no complaints except I would like to have a bunch more. I need 4 of the 96" but $$$$.

I am with Gary. Waiting and watching. Someone will want to bail out of their old style stock and have a really good price. Time will tell.

Dar

It's already happening.
    Hartville Tools has the 24" for $24 as one of today's deals at the Woodnet forum.
    Woodcraft, not usually your bargain center, has the 24" for $27, the 40" for $33.74, and the 50", that they usually sell for $47.99, at a close out price of $47.99. Hmmm, not much of a discount on the 50" ers.
    HTH,
    Ron

Not impressed. Yes some minor nice improvnment but the jets are still nicer. Intergrated ruler better cam, these are things bessey should of done I think they are falling behind.
    -=Jason=-

Not impressed. Yes some minor nice improvnment but the jets are still nicer. Intergrated ruler better cam, these are things bessey should of done I think they are falling behind.
    -=Jason=-