Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is this guy on drugs?

I couldn't even bring myself to watch his Nail gun videos.

Funny thing I've worked on jobs with idiots like this guy. One such clown was reaching into my tool box for one of my chisels when I remarked "Careful that tool is really dangerous"

He replied "I know how to use a chisel"

My answer was "But if you try to one of mine I'll have to hurt you"
    Last edited by Chuck Harris; 07-16-2008 at 3:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Let the wood speak!

That guy is a butcher!

Early guess was good

Robert J. McMahon is a master carpenter with over 20 years of experience. He has worked on many restoration projects of old, period homes in the Philadelphia area as well as ecologically friendly and environmentally clean homes in Massachusetts. He has a passion for building furniture.

I've used power planes in carpentry (and, yeah, house builders sometimes do odd things). You wouldn't want to do much work on joists with a hand plane, but then I don't use many galvanized nails in box making so it sort of equals out.

"He has a passion for building furniture."

It does say at the end of the video all rights reserved

6. As I stated at Woodnet; every village has it's idiot, now I know who expert village's is.

Ah, the Internet

When I was in high school, someone came back from a trip to Nevada (next state over, so not a long trip) with a record of a guy who thought he could sing, but couldn't (the band backing him was awesome, which is what we all focused on: every time he changed key, which was about every second measure, though not predictably, the band changed key one beat later). Back then, he was just singing in a little bar in Nowhere, Nevada. Now, he could be on the Internet.

I feel for this guy: who told him he was knowledgeable enough to put this stuff out there?

Talking

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I just watched the Table saw videos, and my favourite is the "How to remove the Guard" from the tablesaw.

In the video Rob says " Hi! I'm rob McMahon for Expert Village. The only thing about safety features is that often times, they're just in the way". Of course he fails to mention that so are your fingers occasionally.

The really scary part about the video, is that people who are new to the hobby, may think that his methods are appropriate.

I'm just waiting to see his video on shaper operation....

9. Great high school training videos of what not to do. Disorganized garage and holding wood with one hand and power tool with the other, than push the power tool.

Sorry, but I still have 10 fingers at 58 years old and intend on keeping them as long as I can.

Clamps must be an option?

Ha ha, excellent, keep thinking he's straight off an episode of Cops, you know just before they burst in those steel doors and start asking the hard questions

I came across this guys videos a while back. I had been playing around with a power planer that I inherited. After using it I determined that it didn't belong in the fine woodworking cabinet, but could be very useful for removing a lot of wood fast from things like doors and framing. Anyhow, I noted how poorly he controlled the planer and moved on. Guess I could have been more proactive in telling others how shady this guys practices are

he reminds me of ...

He reminds me of a guy that we once caught using my dad's wood chisels to remove concrete off of some forms. And I had just sharpened them a few days before! But alas, he traded his job for jail time, yes, drugs.

My goodness i still remember that sinking feeling but not much after that ...
    "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

Rob on ... Nail Gun Safety

I saw the nail gun safety movie clip ...

He holds the nose back and says:
    "You can hold that nose piece back and pull the trigger and it would shoot a nail that would go through a piece of Sheetrock."
    Sounds an awful lot like hes tried it before.

Towards the end of the video: "You don't want to have your hand holding it like this. You'll get your board lined up with your mark and you keep your hand in a safe distance. Now watch I'm going to miss intentionally here."
    "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

To his credit, he does at least seem a little bit nervous as he demonstrates the reasons for nailgun safety!
    These videos are hilarious but also scary -- it's shocking that Expert Village doesn't take many of them off-line. I guess they don't have lawyers working for them?
    -Andy

He doesn't even follow his own advice:
    If you watch the videos, the only time he wears any of the safety gear, is during the safety "demonstration" video.

Ted
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES