Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built-in Cherry Cabinets with Beaded Face Frames

Frank,
    That's very very very nice.
    Well done indeed. The more of these beaded face frames I see... the more I think I need to get back in the shop!

Greg

Wonderful job Frank.

Did you install the inset doors to the face frames BEFORE you mounted the frames to the carcasses?

If you had it to do over, would you cut the beads into the rails and stiles or would you apply beading instead?

Did you use any stain prior to applying the finish? (I have preferred using no stain.)

Sometimes I get inspired by the projects forums, and at other times I just feel completely humbled, this project makes me feel both. Amazing attention to detail on such a large project.

Was this your own project or a client's?

Did you do all the molding yourself? (cutting/figuring from rough stock). I would suspect so except for the dental pattern along the top of the ceiling.

I am curious as to how long it took you (overall time frame, not specific man hours) and how many board feet of cherry you used on the project. That would be a ridiculously expensive project for me from cherry.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Beautiful work Frank.

Wow. I wasn't trolling for compliments...but I appreciate them nonetheless. Thank you! I figured I'd get some critical feedback, but nothing yet...

These cabinets were for a close friend. They paid for the materials and I donated my labor as a wedding gift. I can't imagine what they would cost otherwise. I think the materials came in around $4500. Figure 2/3's labor, and these cabinets would probably cost around $13,500? I wanted something high-end for my portfolio, so it was worth it to me to donate the labor. Otherwise, I might be waiting a real long time before I got to work on a project like this. It took me about two months to complete (figure 300 hours). I'm also kinda slow when it comes to exacting cuts and processes.

Jeff - I fitted the inset doors and hinges prior to finishing and attaching to the carcasses. This allowed me to adjust the fit perfectly and not scratch up the finish of the doors. I labeled each door and assigned each hinge (they do vary ever so slightly). I used Deltana's Brass hinges.

There is no stain with this finish. Just BLO, dewaxed Shellac and Target USL (satin).

I made the cornice and base molding. The crown, dentil and shoe moldings were pre-fab. The cornice and the base use the same 3/8" bead. The cornice is just 5" wide whereas the base is 3-1/4" wide.

Applied beading would have certainly been faster, and I did have to do this for the beads in the arches. But for a stain grade look, I preferred the look of the milled bead as it maintains the grain continuity and provides a better connection for the butt hinges.

Thanks again.

A touch of eloquence.. a hint of charm without robbing any aspect of cozy!

Well done and extremely functional....

Sarge..

Love the finish and it sounds pretty straight forward. I didnt catch Jims finish discussion earlier. Great work and incredible attention to detail. Donated 200hr+ for a wedding gift. Must have been a good friend. So how far into the project did you think, hmm, I suppose I could have bought a gift instead.

Brad

Nice taste, that came out great. That wall looks awesome now.

Very nice work.
    I have one wall in my lvnrm with a fireplc that is very much like that one and I have been wondering how to design some builtins around it.
    You have given me a jumpstart on ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

It might have been a time killer, but it sure is a joy to look at. I'm sure you can take a lot of satisfaction from this project. It fits the space absolutely perfectly. And it's made from cherry, I mean come on? How could you go wrong Wonderful craftsmanship. You should be proud.

Outstanding work. Love the cherry and your finish. Craftmanship like this takes time to do it right..Very well done...It'll look great in your portfolio.
    Jerry