Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $5000 to spend on machinery.....what would YOU do??

Blog Entries
    I would read this along with all the good advice here: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki.../011153068.pdf
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The best advise given so far is to consider what you want to do. It's not just about power tools, either...there are a lot of other things to consider.

The "big three", IMHO, are the TS, Jointer and Planer...essential power tools in my book for machining lumber from rough to project components. Any other stationary power tools are more task specific and if your initial projects don't require them, you might consider putting more of the money toward hand tools, both human and electrically powered as well as things like clamps, work surfaces, tooling, etc.

And dust collection needs to be a priority.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-06-2008 at 3:43 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would take a big chunk of that and get some good quality wood stock. Can never have enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    What Jamie said. Seriously, if I were you, I would pick a project and then buy the tools I needed to make it. You can more thoroughly research your purchases, and take more time learning each machine.
    If I were to start from scratch again, as you are, I would definately heed this advice from Peter.

I've wasted ALOT of money on un-necessaries. And had I waited to buy some tools, I would have had a acquired more funds to spend (AND time to research), and bought better tools.

Lots of regrets on bad (un-timely) tool purchases, and now I have to live with those decisions.

I agree with Peter. Don't make the same mistake I (and apparently many others) made starting out:

• Have an overall plan for what you want to do, based on the kinds of things you expect to make.
    • Don't forget key hand tools and accessories in the process -- chisels, plane, saw, rolling bases, table-saw outfeed table, workbench, sharpening kit, storage, lighting, etc.
    • Purchase your tools only as you need them.
      • Your desires will change, technology changes, your learn more, your skills increase, etc. It's easy to wind up with tools that sounded good when you first equipped your shop, and for which you later wish you had waited and purchased something different that better meets you needs.
      • You quickly learn that router bits can quickly add up to more than a router, that turning tools can easily add up to more than a lathe, and that adding jigs for your existing tools is often more useful than a new tool. You may find it desirable to spend a bit more on tools that form the base for a more extensive setup -- e.g., a nice router table -- whose cost will fade next to the bits and jigs you use with it.

• If you decide you want a table saw, a good fence is probably the most valuable feature, whether you get a contractor saw or a cabinet saw. I found that a cabinet saw with a good fence was only slightly more expensive than adding a good fence to a contractor saw. Today, many manufacturers have great "hybrid" saws.
    • A table saw is important if you are working with sheet goods, but many argue that a bandsaw and jointer are great without a table saw for working solid woods for "furniture", as opposed to "cabinet work".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    What Jamie said. Seriously, if I were you, I would pick a project and then buy the tools I needed to make it. You can more thoroughly research your purchases, and take more time learning each machine.

You may even find yourself with a slightly unorthodox shop - for example you could find that based on your work some type of sander would be more helpful than a jointer, or maybe you make all bandsaw boxes and don't need a table saw - just some examples. Or worse yet, you end up with a lathe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shields View Post
    If I were to start from scratch again, as you are, I would definately heed this advice from Peter.

I've wasted ALOT of money on un-necessaries. And had I waited to buy some tools, I would have had a acquired more funds to spend (AND time to research), and bought better tools.

Lots of regrets on bad (un-timely) tool purchases, and now I have to live with those decisions.
    Drool on WW catalogs at first, and then take Peter and Mike's advise.

Opinion

With a 20' x 30' area, I don't think you really need to worry about rolling things. That's assuming you can dedicate it to the workshop only.

I am in the 'buy used' camp. I have been able to but together a shop of high quality tools, better than what I could afford new. I have gotten a Unisaw, 8" Delta jointer, 15" Makita planer, 14" Delta bandsaw, and huge industrial Rockwell radial arm saw for only $1710. After doing minor repairs, purchasing top quality blades, and getting a phase converter I will be spending about $3000 total. That's a nicely equipped shop with several commercial/industrial quality tools. I couldn't even get a new tablesaw and jointer of the same quality for $3000!!

If you could manage something similar, you would have a chunk of change left over for a DC, accessories, lumber, and any other tool that you didn't think you would need.

Hutch

First off I would suggest buying used if you can, you can save a bundle. I would only spend about half to 2/3 of your budget on large tools, and the rest you'll use up buying all the smaller accessories other have mentioned, along with wood of course!

New:
    Table saw: $1000
    8" Jointer: $800
    12.5" planer: $400
    14" Bandsaw: $600
    Drill Press: $400
    Dust Collector: $300
    Plunge/Fixed Base Router: $175

Total $3675

Used you sould be able to get all that for about $2500.

Starting from almost scratch, there are sooooo many general accessories to buy as well as project specific things that will add up faster than you can imagine. I'd like to think I'm slowing down a bit, but I still order a few hundred dollars worth of accesories/tools each month.

You'll need chisels, ROS, sandpaper (not the junk you find at the BORG), layout tools, featherboards, a shopvac, dust collection fittings, jig parts, maybe a tenon jig for the TS, a real miter gauge (not the piece of junk that comes with the TS), blades, bits

And maybe you'll want a grinder (and a sharpening jig), or a benchtop mortiser, a veneer press, and a compressor for the press, spray equipment, etc. These are far from necessities, but you see where I'm going.

Tool that are project specific are the way to go. I was given a Table Saw and I bought a router and a few hand tools for my first project, and now I've got pretty much a full shop (I don't know how many thousands of dollars later!).

Remember to look used on your regional Craigslist pages, your local want ads, and here on SMC and other online places with classifieds.

Good luck, and have fun!

I was in a similar situation about 20 years ago setting up a new commercial shop. I decided on Powermatic for my major stationary tools and bought them all from the same dealer at the same time. Great price and service.

If I was in a similar situation, and did not need all the tools at one time, I would shop for used commercial grade machines.

You were very smart and asked for advice and feedback on this forum. Now you just need to assimilate the information and buy, buy, buy!

Best of luck!

-Jerry

I hate to put a damper on your plans. I just built a house full of very modern custom furniture and cabinets. I built custom because I had the shop and experience. It was the only way to get what we wanted(much of it is built in).

I would recommend that you price the materials to build cribs, tables, chairs, tv stands and beds you need first. Include hardware and finishes. Then go to a few furniture stores to get ideas and prices. Wood chairs are time consuming to build and CHEAP to buy.

In many cases you can buy good furniture for what the materials would cost you, not including your labor or the costs to equip (and run) a small shop!
    Last edited by jim oakes; 08-06-2008 at 1:40 PM.

Keep an open mind. Make a list of tools you'd like to have. Make a loose budget for each one. Then be patient. Lurk on Craigslist and similar sites. You have to be patient (did I say that already?). You're in the cat-bird seat if you have the cash in hand. I wouldn't get hyped up on any particular brand. Who cares if you have a PM table saw, a Delta Jointer, a Jet thickness palner, etc. Look at price and quality and buy the best older iron you can find.

So far I've got the $3000 table saw for $700 (PM66) the $2200 jointer for $600 (DJ20). If I had $5000 cash in my hand I wouldn't have missed as many similar deals as I have. Both these machines needed wax to be fully functional. The PM66 has had another $150 thrown at it. Mobile base, table between the 52 in rails, New Fence tube, and Factory Blade guard. I got the Blade gard from fellow (very cool) creeker for next to nothing, the rest I got at Woodcraft and Rockler on closeouts/sales.

Especially for a basement shop, buy more dust collection than you need, then get everything else used...

Quote Originally Posted by jim oakes View Post
    In many cases you can buy good furniture for what the materials would cost you, not including your labor or the costs to equip (and run) a small shop!
    My first hall table probably cost me $10K by that math. It's the joy of building it that is important.

Then again, if I realized at the start it was going to cost me $10K, I prolly woulda scrapped the whole idea and just gone skiing for a month in Vail.

Blog Entries
    More Festool please.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I'd be patient and hunt for high quality used North American tools. They will hold their value if you want to resell them, they are nice to use and look at, and for the most part made better than today's stuff. The $5000 should go a long way if you like to hunt for bargains.