Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trading wood

I sure wouldn't want to turn wood with insecticide in it,
    Have fun and take care

Coming back from vacation in Hawaii, I brought a small suitcase, around 25 lbs. of koa etc. Already prepared as blanks. A few very odd stares from the officials, but no questions or restrictions.
    However, on the way IN to Hawaii, I was asked to check the bottoms of my shoes and pant cuffs for stray seeds, and I got the impression I could be jailed for bringing in so much as a raisin! I understand what they are trying to do, but it's a bit like closing the barn door after the horses are already loose. There are many non-native species of plants and animals there, starting with stuff the polynesians brought with them! Even the misguided government there had a program importing and planting eucalyptus, of all things. Now they can't get rid of them.

hello. christmas tree farmer here who has been asked to ship trees to hawaii, there are many regulations about wood and plants going INTO the state. main issues are dirt bark and fumagation/ rediation
    the state is VERY correct in not wanting more invasive plants. yes the critters and plants have been getting in but they need to quarentine things that might bring in more. one little borer or spider can devistate the whole paradise,
    here in oregon we have areas offlimits to export to cali cause of bugs. and all the state have certain speices they are fighting to keep out
    with wood I would think all bark removal, no dirt, and heat ( as in kiln drying) would be in order
    scott ( waiting to see what Keoni might want to trade for )

Nancy Mentioned Australia, so I thought I would add in I have heard from turners in Australia that sending them spalted wood is a no no and they can get heavily fined for it if caught.
    Mike Vickery

Trading Wood

Hawaii DOA Reply:

John,
    Those are considered processed so they are ok to import.
    Ronnie