Thread: Newbie Here...

Newbie Here...

First time posting any pics here and aside from my introduction on the Off Topics portion of the board, my first post. Here's a mirror I made for a gal a few months ago. Curly maple with mahogany bases. Maple was dyed with transtint brown mahogany then rubbed in formby's fake tung oil then topped it off with general finishes armor seal. Only been woodworking for about a year now, seriously got into it about 9 months ago. Really enjoy it and figured, after retiring from the army, that it was healthier than picking up hard alcohol as a hobby.
    Attached Images Attached Images

forgot to add that the round black things you see on the footings and the face are the old style round headed nails. there as decoration only but with them being 1 1/2" long, they also act as a nail even though they're not needed to hold anything.

Beautiful work, Todd!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you. It was the third of three and the better of them. I've been laying off mirrors lately and doing other easier going stuff.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Great job Todd, your finish on the piece is excellent!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Nice work, Todd - both wood and finish. May be a healthier hobbly than alcohol but might turn out to be as addictive .....and expensive.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    Nice work, Todd - both wood and finish. May be a healthier hobbly than alcohol but might turn out to be as addictive .....and expensive.

Thanks. As for the addiction, I fully agree with you on both counts.
    ....My Anger Management Class Really Ticks Me Off!!!

Todd, I'm glad you chose hard wood instead of hard alcohol for many different reasons. This is a nice mirror. You did a good job in getting that curl to pop as well. I'm sure this will be a cherished heirloom. Good job!

Todd,

I am envious of your steep learnig curve. I am in process of testing some amber and lemon yellow transtint - going to try your formula next.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cooper View Post
    Todd,

I am envious of your steep learnig curve. I am in process of testing some amber and lemon yellow transtint - going to try your formula next.
    Here's the steps I did with the maple
    1. dye it, sand it back taking most of it out
    2. repeat step one
    3. dye it a final time.
    4. rub in the formbys fake tung oil - two coats. I used that because I didn't know the difference between it and actual tung oil at the time.
    5. general finishes semigloss armor seal.
    6. the mahogany footings were done with dark walnut danish oil. I wetsanded it in twice. 340 grit then 600 grit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    Todd, I'm glad you chose hard wood instead of hard alcohol for many different reasons. This is a nice mirror. You did a good job in getting that curl to pop as well. I'm sure this will be a cherished heirloom. Good job!
    thanks. i made it for a gal at work. she gave it to her daughter as a birthday present.

Very nice work Todd and good luck in retirement from the military. Keep up the good work...

Sarge..

Talking Very Nice indeed!

I am currently working with Curly Maple for a flag case. Not sure what type of stain to go with, (maybe minwax #209 natural). Will post photo when complete.
    By the way, good choice of hobbie. I found out that the other hobbie doesnt get you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by todd johnson View Post
    First time posting any pics here and aside from my introduction on the Off Topics portion of the board, my first post. Here's a mirror I made for a gal a few months ago. Curly maple with mahogany bases. Maple was dyed with transtint brown mahogany then rubbed in formby's fake tung oil then topped it off with general finishes armor seal. Only been woodworking for about a year now, seriously got into it about 9 months ago. Really enjoy it and figured, after retiring from the army, that it was healthier than picking up hard alcohol as a hobby.

Looks real nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Blodgett View Post
    I am currently working with Curly Maple for a flag case. Not sure what type of stain to go with, (maybe minwax #209 natural). Will post photo when complete.
    By the way, good choice of hobbie. I found out that the other hobbie doesnt get you anywhere.

From what I've read about curly maple, you may not want to use a stain. Dye's are the way to go with curly maple since they'll penetrate more evenly but you may have more experience with it than I do.