Thread: Bugs and storing wood...

Bugs and storing wood...

Sorry if this is a repeat, but...

We cut down a lot of trees this weekend and a lot of the trees have ants and the like crawling all over them. What do you do about that? Just leave the stuff outside and hope they go away?

Ants will often vacate as cutting down the tree removes a lot of the moisture they preserve, not to mention their "privacy". Other critters may require more coaxing. There is no harm in storing turning stock outdoors, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ants will often vacate as cutting down the tree removes a lot of the moisture they preserve, not to mention their "privacy". Other critters may require more coaxing. There is no harm in storing turning stock outdoors, however...
    Do you have a storage place for your wood outside? Or do you leave it just setting on the ground?

I know just about every firewood pile I have ever gone into down here has had black widow spiders in it... They seem to like firewood piles. So... I would like to avoid that but I know it may not be possible. I know I have seen people make frames to store cords of wood on and I was wondering what ya'll did.

Dean, I store most of my wood outside on a rack. I leave more space between the wood than in a firewood pile to avoid the black widows and that has seemed to work so far. I don't have any photos but think if you do a search on "wood gloat" or "blank storage" you will find something as I have seen previous posts. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=906855
    Ben
    Last edited by Benjamin Dahl; 08-18-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added link

Avoid moisture

While I live about as far from you as possible and still be in the lower 48, I suspect that we do have a common problem. If you leave the wood on the ground or in a pile that the bark touches, you will find insects. Moisture only encourages decay and that invites insects. Out here we have the Brown Recluse spider which is smaller and harder to see. We have to be very careful and knock off the moss and loose bark when stacking fire or "project" wood. Leaving the wood on the ground brings in bug galore.

I don't know if you have carpenter ants out there but here they are one bug you want dead! We inspect to make sure that there are no Carpenter Ants in any fire wood as they will get into the wood in your home and it will be gone. I have sat still at the stump where the Carpenter Ants were living, and I could hear them working. The sound was like a bowl of Rice Krispies in milk, snap, crackle and pop.

I personally do not have a problem with spraying an organic safe insecticide. You garden store should have something that is safe around food, pets, and kids.

Hope that helps some.

Phillip,
    What organic pesticide do you use?

organic pesticides

I like Citrus oils, Neem Oil (Einstien Brand), and Diatomaceous Earth (NOT the Swimming Pool variety).

There are other types on the market, and many that are green or organic safe. If you are operating an organic farm you may want to check if these supplies are banned for the true organic label. I tend to equate eco safe and organic together and they really are not the same.

Hope that clarifies.

Phil

The only problem I've had with bugs and storing wood either inside or outside was with powder post beetles. They seem to particularly like ash, even kiln-dried; in air drying cherry and walnut they got into the sapwood but not the heartwood, which was fine by me.

I've also had carpenter bees bore large holes in the support 2x4s of stacked and stickered lumber, but not the lumber itself.

I agree with the advice to keep wood off the ground and remove the bark as soon as you can.