Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floating Tenons? Who is Doing Them?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I use loose tenon whenever I can, and I have adopted a variation of this guys method .. .. ..

http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/

His method is so simple and foolproof, AND, it requires a minimum of jigs/accessories. With all of the router "lifts" available today, I can't see a better method available, even if you don't want to fabricate his electric lift.

I've got a Woodrat so either way is just as fast for me. But like everyone else, I use whichever seems right for the particular application.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Blair View Post
    Jack,
    I use floating tenons on some projects. It depends on what it is, sometimes I use the tradional mortise and tenon arrangement. When I use floating tenons, I use the BeadLock system, as it is fast, easy to use and gives good results.
    I look at joinery this way. Most mortise and tenon joints will never be seen unless they are thru mortise and tenon types. Therefore only you will know (are care) what type of joint it is. I would think that the old shaker craftsmen would have used simular systems if they had the routers, equipment, and glue that we have today.
    But again, there are times when a traditional mortise and tenon is appropriate. For instance, I always use them when making the skirt for a table, Why? Cause I've always done it that way...
    BTW, I am in no way connected to BeadLock.
    Ditto to Beadlock. In my small shop, it's a real space saver too for the amount of M&T joints that I do.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

The Beadlock jig has worked well for me on several projects.

With a long drill bit it allows a nice deep mortise, but you must be carefull on the deep mortises to keep the drill bit square to the stock!!! I learned that the hard way.

...gonna be trying router cut mortises soon.

love my domino and looking at a multirouter or horizontal mortiser

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Its a good idea to learn both ways. But I find myself using loose tenons more and more. When you make up the tenon stock, make a lot and keep some around for future projects - it really speeds things up.

I'm making chairs right now, with lots of compound angles - I would go nuts trying to do that with an integral tenon.

I use about 70% floating. It's easier. Measure, cut, route/mortise, fit tenon. It's quite easy. I tend to use 1/4 or 3/8 tenons for most every project and have a boat load of wood ready for tenons when needed. I'll likely be a total convert once I get a Festool............

I almost allways use floating tennons on all of my prodjects. They are easier to acomplish and I've never had problems with strength. I made that jig that was featured in fine woodworking but I had to adjust the dimensions to work with my router. Here is a link the the thread I started about it.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88601

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Young View Post
    Thanks,

What you guys are saying is that the whole business is an evolving one. I have looked at the Leigh jig, and a number of others, and sense that the thing can be as expensive as you let it be. Your comments have been of great help. Needless to say, the very question accurately suggests that I have not done a lot of that sort of thing, or I'd know what you know.

Again, thanks.

Jack Young
    i use the Leigh jig in lieu of floating tenons. it's as easy as it appears in their videos, just a matter of whether it's worth the price to you or not.

for my purposes i need to recreate historical doors/windows which involves very large or multiple mortises (like the bottom stile of a 2" exterior door) and very small ones (like muntins in a window). in addition i don't have room for a standalone mortiser, at least not a real one (benchtop ones i've not had any luck with, too inaccurate imo).

so for my purposes it's worth it. for others, i can see why they would want a standalone mortiser.

I just bought the Laguna Platnium Slot mortiser at IWF. Price was $945 (show price) plus the five piece Laguna bits for $100. So far I have been just playing with making mortises. Hope to make a bed with loose tenons soon.

That looks much simpler than some of the jigs that I have seen. I have wanted to make one, but most look too difficult. I would like to make this one.

here's one that looks kinda good ...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

If you don't want to take the trouble to make your own floating tenon stock, you can always get the set of metric spiral upcut bits available from Woodcraft to rout the mortises, and use dominoes for the the tenons.

If you make a precision micro-adjustable mortising jig like this one, for which free plans can be downloaded from my blog - http://rockerswoodwork.blogspot.com/ , you can make floating tenon joints quickly and accurately.

David Dundas
    Attached Images Attached Images

With this odd-ball machine in my shop, cutting a Mortise is real easy. It's called a WoodRat and uses a Router to mill joints. It is also a cinch when it comes to milling full Tenons. But I don't do that much.

Instead, I buy bags full of floating tenons made by Festool for their Domino machine. Very hard wood, fluted and embossed to strengthen the bond with the mortise and to prevent Hydraulic Lock caused excess glue. They are convenient and simple to use.

Haven't compared the joint strength between Full Tenons and Floating Tenons. I believe that the application would dictate which is preferable.

Gary Curtis

I made a slot mortiser and all I do is floaters now.