Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

15 Sep 2008

Good Morning,

It's been a crazy weekend is all I gotta say.
    First our oldest son left Sunday morning for Alabama to live with my parents. In case you didn't know, my son Samuel has Aspergers (a type of autism), as we found out about 2 years ago, and life just wasn't going well for him here in Arkansas. I asked my dad how we could help Samuel and my parents called back later saying that they wanted to try and help Samuel. So without boring all of you to tears, Samuel made his trip just fine and we are sure hoping and praying that he can get help and does well.

We've been gathering and cutting firewood and I suspect that since Ike just went through our part of the country, that we will have more firewood to cut and gather. We made it fine and only was without power for several hours and we didn't loose any trees in our own yard. Just limbs and such.

No bass playing for me this past weekend and today will be cleaning up the yard from the storm and finishing up a cutting board that I've had in the shop for sometime now. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get back in the shop and get busy on that kitchen table.

That's it for me. So, what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday I turned and finished the last 3 pens of 30 for the FPP. Watched a few minutes of football. Then I cleaned the drains on the sink and tub in our main bathroom. I"d noticed less hair on my head and the drains not draining as well as they should. Guess what I found restricting the flow and causing the drains to malfunction? Our youngest son called from Pearland TX. Thank God he and his beautiful wife survived Ike. Their house took some roof and resultant water damage. Pieces of wet wallboard on the ceilings in several rooms were falling. Inititial LOWBALL esitimate by a neighbor who is a contractor $50,000. Their kitchen ceiling has since collapsed. Their $3,000 annual hurricane insurance premium looks cheap now.

Sunday, we got around earlier than we normally do and drove to Wallawalla, WA for cookout with co-workers and families. Had a great time. One guy did a great job on the smoked tri-tip roast, german sausage, chicken.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bought a mobile base "kit" from Rockler and assembled it. Would not recommend this product, but I got my bandsaw on it and vacuumed the garage/shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Our youngest son called from Pearland TX. Thank God he and his beautiful wife survived Ike. Their house took some roof and resultant water damage. Pieces of wet wallboard on the ceilings in several rooms were falling. Inititial LOWBALL esitimate by a neighbor who is a contractor $50,000. Their kitchen ceiling has since collapsed. Their $3,000 annual hurricane insurance premium looks cheap now.
    In 2003 we got hit by Claudette, it took 3 weeks to get a roofer, he
    charged $10,000 for a roof that should have been less than $3,000.
    I bought the shingles & the flashing, still took him 2 weeks to do my roof,
    he would work 3 hrs then move to another house, then another etc.
    I put these kinds of people on the list of gas station owners that started
    chargeing $6.32 a gallon in Winchester Tn before noon Sat, my brother
    said they lowered the price to $3.99 by Sunday. My son is currently mia
    somewhere in Houston this morning, I think he is ok, just can't find power
    to charge his cell phone, he doesent own a car. I hope to hear from him
    today.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Dennis,

A litttle sailing this weekend. It's fun to meet the tourists coming through town. A few locals too.
    Helped the canoe builders with some G.E.B. (Guy on End of Board) work.

Toured some of the old lodges in "Taste of the Gun Flint Trail". Some beautiful old log and stone buildings preserved on stunning locations.

Gathering and cutting fire wood myself. Many out door chores to keep me busy. You wood burners make sure you clean those chimenys!!
    Shop time!! Still can't find stuff so I'm emptying and sorting stuff in the shop

I do a boat delivery this week. Should take about 4 days.

Have a safe week.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Lost elec. power saturday night for about 1 1/2 hour.

5" rain gauge overflowed

Got some firewood cut and stacked

Not much woodworking around here this weekend. Went to the Home Show at the fairground to get some kitchen cabinet ideas. Yesterday was spent watching the large trees in the neighborhood to see who's tree was going to crack first in the gusty winds. I know it's not like coastal winds and what Ike delivered to Southe Texas, but 75MPH gusts and 35MPH sustained is pretty high for Columbus.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Spent most of Saturday installing software on LOML's new computer and getting everything transferred over from the old one. Sunday I worked on numerous projects around the house getting ready for fall and winter--like taking down the pool, etc. I took today off since I was traveling and worked a lot of extra hours last week. Spent the better part of today welding up a bracket to mount the waste tote for our camper on the back bumper for travel so that it doesn't have to ride in the bed of the truck.

Puttered in the shop - "de-cluttered" it from all the summer activities, and made it somewhat usable. Finally got around to installing a dust port on my TS and connected it (directly) to my dust collector - seems to work pretty well, hopefully it'll cut down on my clean up time in the future

My weekend was good.

Installed base trim in the living and family room. Got rid of that cheap pine trim that would just flake off with the slightest touch. Just have 3 rooms plus 2.5 bathrooms.

I also spent some time splitting firewood that I've had for a while and got it stacked. Just in time for someone to deliver some firewood that is already seasoned.

Oh - also got the lawn mowed too - got a lot done and was a bit sore to ride the bike into work today, but I'm hoping that they are looser on the ride home.

Michael

A big chunk of Saturday was for horsie things...then mowing the lawn...and then I got to work on some nightstands using recycled pine. That work continued on Sunday and I got started on the finishing steps before we were off to a last-swim-of-the-season barbecue with friends.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My weekend was partly consumed my a table saw swap out as seen here... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92159

Friday night and Saturday morning were spent swapping all the "stuff" over and dialing it all back in. The wife n kid dragged me out bowling Staurday late afternoon and then I dragged them to Dave n Busters to continue the forvolity of the evening.
    Sunday was in the shop putting the saw through a few paces and working on a bed project I've had set aside nearly all summer.

Cheers.
    Greg

I spent Sat morning setting up a ROUGH spray booth behind my shop to spray the crib parts. Set up the HF HVLP gun and sprayed B-I-N primer on one of the end assemblies in the afternoon before the game. Sprayed OK, though I am using a PC twin-stack compressor that doesn't quite have the CFMs needed. Not sure if I have the gun dailed in right either.

Sunday we made it to church for the first time since the baby was born, he slept the whole time, it was great. My parents brough us lunch and visited for a couple of hours in the afternoon, and I set up a new 47" HDTV that I bought. (Believe it or not, I actually agreed with the LOML that it was indeed too big, and I am taking it back this afternoon. )

Later...

Wright

Turned a BIG hunk of wood !

I turned a large piece of white oak that will become the mainsail winch on the Onrust. www.theonrust.com Biggest thing I have ever turned !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Sat in the rain Saturday and watched the Irish whip on the Wolverines. We received 11 inches of rain from Friday night to Sunday night. Sunday made for a good day to get caught up on misc rainy day shop projects like cleaning and organizing.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.