Thread: Coffee as a wood dye?

Coffee as a wood dye?

At an antique/flea/junk/consignment sale today. Saw a piece of furniture a guy made and he had dyed it using coffee, then topped with a varnish (poly looked like). It looked great! Had this very nice and pleasing brown color.

I'm now intrigued with it. The thought of a very safe/non-toxic colorant is very attractive to me (I'm kind of a eco-nut like that) . Does anyone have any experience with this? After doing a little internet research, I've read a number of positives about it. I'm tempted to play around with this for my crib that I've been building (it's maple but the better half would prefer it to have a light brown color), but would hate for it to turn into a nasty color some time down the road. Any thoughts by the board experts?

You might check out "walnut crystals". It is a wood dye made from walnut husks. One example is http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=5904

I've heard of using tea but coffee's a new one on me.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hello,
    Coffee + Q-tip = a good remedy for those annoying light spots shelf pin holes often leave.

Old time painters used coffee to touch up dings in woodwork.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Now there's a line of furniture you can market to Starbucks . . .

Regadless of the stain or dye that you use... Maple does not stai or dye well it is a very hard dense wood that is subject to blotching when you add stain or dye to it.

If "she wants light you might try a shellac as the first finish coat... it seals better than most finishes it is color fast and it dyes in a matter of minutes not hours.

Personally, I like garnet shellac on maple. Gives it a nice toasted color.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Well, using natural materials and plant matter for dyes and stains is kinda how it all got started...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

While these stains from household items are interesting, on the serious side it is quite likely that they quite a bit less lightfast than modern aniline dyes such as TransFast. The commercial dyes can obtain any color possible from coffee, and repeatably too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    While these stains from household items are interesting, on the serious side it is quite likely that they quite a bit less lightfast than modern aniline dyes such as TransFast. The commercial dyes can obtain any color possible from coffee, and repeatably too.
    Yeah, sure . . . but can they be marketed as 100% organic?