Thread: Ros rip

Ros rip

My Dewalt ROS just stopped working. Tried different plugs. Nada. Kaput.

Of course it had to do this after ordering a boat load of discs. So, any recommendations for something that will last longer then 3 years?

Would like it to use the same 8 hole discs and have a DC port.

boo hoo...
    Burt

That's longer that a Bosch ROS that I bought. It didn't last 3 months of "light" use. After it failed the second time after being "fixed" by one of their service centers, I bought a Festool. I should have bought it in the first place.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

get a Makita 1/2 the price of a Festool, just as good.

I just got the Festool ETS 125 EQ for a birthday present and I'm quite sure it'll last forever.

I love it, by the way. Not overly aggressive like many 5" sanders, plus it has speed control and works great with a shop-vac. Leaves the surface smooth as silk.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    My Dewalt ROS just stopped working. Tried different plugs. Nada. Kaput.

Of course it had to do this after ordering a boat load of discs. So, any recommendations for something that will last longer then 3 years?

Would like it to use the same 8 hole discs and have a DC port.

boo hoo...
    Burt
    Last edited by Jason White; 09-22-2008 at 7:31 AM.

I have a PC and a Makita. I've had the PC a couple of years longer than the Makita. Both have seen a ton of service. I like the feel of the Makita better, but another person might prefer the PC. Both have good dust collection (when I take time to connect it). The Makita uses 8 hole discs. The PC comes with a 5 hole pad, but you can get pads that are channeled for both 5 and 8 hole discs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Have had a Porter Cable 333 ROS for almost 20 years. Still going strong, although it sounds a bit louder than usual. Bearings may be going south.

Don't have the budget for the Festool at the moment. In the middle of a major shop and tool upgrade. Perhaps, the next go around or when the next ROS fails I'll spring for the Festool.

Thanks,
    Burt

I just picked up a Milwaukee 6021-21 5", eight hole pad and dust port that works with 1.25 and 2.5 vac hoses. Really nice sander. Doesn't rock around like my PC 333. Vibration is almost nil. Even comes with an extra pad.

Amazon has the PC343 here for $59. The Makita is $65 with 15 disks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.