Thread: Hard wood flooring for bench top

Question Hard wood flooring for bench top

I have a very sturdy workbench and have been happy with it for the 4 years I have had it. No... it is not the traditional style, but rather a hybrid combo of utility/shop/woodworking bench. It is 2... yes 2 laminated solid core doors covered with tempered hardboard and wrapped with an oversized 5 inch apron all around. I would like to reduce this apron to about 3 1/2 inches for better clamping and give my bench a faux traditional looking top. I was thinking of laminating hardwood flooring to the solid doors and then flattening and finishing with a nice oil.

My questions are..... will this work? What problems am I looking for in doing this? What is the best way to attach this flooring to the doors? Should I T&G or mill these edges off for a jointed glued edge? Should I forget this and just make a laminated top and be thru with it? I believe Harry was tossing around a thought or 2 on this in a past thread and kind of got me thinking in that direction.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 10-04-2008 at 7:49 PM.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1169559535

Hi Bob: I did this using 3/4 thick 3" wide oak T&G flooring. It was planed but not finished. I use my nail gun to attach it to the MDF base and glued the edges. Don't ask why I glued the edges, I just thought it a good idea.

Still in place, I've not seen any warping or buckling. Every six months or so I plane it down to fresh wood, apply a little BLO followed by wipe on varnish the next day and SCHZAAM new top.

My bench is 42 X 62 an it took 3 bundles of the Lumber Liquidators oak seconds (99 cents a sq foot) to get the top covered. I was choosy and used the longest, cleanest pieces in the bundles. The center strip is some cherry I had available.

Good luck, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Tom,

That came out looking awesome and exactly the results I seek. Thanks so much for the reply and picture. This really helps me a lot.