Thread: Wood supplier in New Mexico

Question Wood supplier in New Mexico

Who knows of a good supplier of wood for furniture making in/near New Mexico? I live in Carlsbad so nothing is close I know I'll either have to drive several hours or order it.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Probably the best quality is at Alpine Building Supply in Santa Fe. All the stock is open and you can take as long as you want to select your lumber. Prices are a little higher than in Albuquerque, but not much.

Albuquerque has three yards that sell furniture grade hardwood: Lumber Products, Albuquerque Hardwoods, and Stock Building Supply. In my opinion, none is much better than the others. If you are looking for something specific, call them first, they stock different things.

If you don't need to actually see the lumber and pick out a particular type of grain or such, you can get a better price and selection on the internet, even with shipping. I have dealt with Steven Wall lumber (google it) several times and have been happy.

Don't know what possesses us who build furniture to move to the desert??

I've heard that Mayes Lumber in Roswell carries some hardwood, though the only time I was there I was buying 2x (it was really nice though!). So you might give them a call. PM me if you can't find a phone #, I've got it at home (I'm in AZ right now, driving back in a couple days). Should be able to google it though.

In Albuquerque I've only used Lumber Products. They sell mostly to cabinet shops so the selection can be a bit limited. They've got a number of branches so you might check their web site and see if there's one nearer than Albuquerque.

If you would like to get into using S American lumber Ipe, Garapa, masenranduba, I could probley help you out. Building outdoor areas I have a stack of left overs in the shop. Shiping from OKC or you could come down and get it. John www.deckmastersllc.com

I also found Acaia Hardwoods in Lubbock.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hellon View Post
    Who knows of a good supplier of wood for furniture making in/near New Mexico? I live in Carlsbad so nothing is close I know I'll either have to drive several hours or order it.

They have wood in New Mexico?