Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oval Skew or Traditional Skew?

Oval Skew or Traditional Skew?

I was wondering How many people perfer the oval skew to the traditional skew. I have never actually used a oval skew myself so I'd like to here from people who have used both, which do you perfer & why.

Joe

I have a one half and a one inch skew in both the oval and the regular flat type. and my go to in most cases is a half inch flat skew that I bought in a kit from HF. I use all of them for different reasons but the cheap one is the one I grab normally.

One Vote for Traditional

I prefer a traditional skew to an oval skew. When I was learning to turn I took a week-long course at Craft Supplies and was given both skews to use. From the start, the traditional shape just felt right while the oval skew felt less stable -- more apt to roll when I didn't want it to.

This is just a matter of personal preference. It's like choosing between redheads, blonds, and brunettes. There's no wrong choice, here.

Traditional

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I prefer a traditional skew to an oval skew. When I was learning to turn I took a week-long course at Craft Supplies and was given both skews to use. From the start, the traditional shape just felt right while the oval skew felt less stable -- more apt to roll when I didn't want it to.

This is just a matter of personal preference. It's like choosing between redheads, blonds, and brunettes. There's no wrong choice, here.
    I didn't take the course but agree with David.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Like most tools...IMHO it depends on what you are used to......my one attempt at using an oval skew was okay but I prefer a flat/rectangular skew. But I know others who prefer the oval skew.

It is another matter of personal taste IMHO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I prefer the traditional. Never did like the oval.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have both...

...and I'm equally bad with either! Actually, I prefer the 1/2" oval in tight places like pens and finials. For larger work I go to traditional 1" and 1 1/4"...Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

I prefer the traditional, it has more mass for the same size width, so that when you are for over the tool rest it does not chatter as much. It is also much easier for me to sharpen .
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Like Ron, I'm equally bad with either. But I have a 1" of each. I prefer the traditional. I shake like an Aspen Leaf, so it's much easier with the flat one.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I have a couple of traditional that came with my HF set (1/2" & 1") and also picked up a 1" oval. Have used them all multiple times and prefer the traditional 1" to anything else. The oval works well but seems like I have to struggle to keep it from rolling. That problem is not with the tool - it's just me not using it enough to have good control. Never had a problem with roll with a traditional!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have both but I personally like the oval, I like the ability to easily roll the tool when I need to, seems to transition easier. But the traditional is good at other times. I mostly use an the oval though. I think it slides easier. I even rounded the corners of the traditional one a little to make it slide easier.

Much like blondes, redheads, brunettes......Not a bad idea to have one of each.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Usually the oval skew is advertised to slide better on the toolrest than the traditional one. This may be true, but on the other hand the oval is thinner and therefor more prone to chatter. Furthermore it doesn't sit in my Tormek sharpening jig as tight as the traditional one. For me the best solution is the ROLLED EDGE CHISEL as f. ex. HAMLET produces. It is as thick as a standard chisel but comes with rounded sides so it glides easily on the toolrest.

Horst

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    I was wondering How many people perfer the oval skew to the traditional skew. I have never actually used a oval skew myself so I'd like to here from people who have used both, which do you perfer & why.
    That is what I call the 1.000.000 answers question. I must say I use both but my favourite and by far is the oval one. I find it smoother to use, but that is probably because I do not use the traditional one as often.

Though I haven't had a lot of recent experience -- just getting back into turning after many years -- I have been using an oval skew most of the time. I don't have any worse control with the oval than the traditional, and it does seem to slide a little easier. My biggest problem is sharpening. I've taken to honing on sandpaper really frequently rather than trying to run it on a grinder.