Thread: Finishing poplar

Finishing poplar

I've just made a mitered corner box out of poplar. I'm at the stage where I'm still "practicing", as a result so far I have not used any of the more expensive species. The box came out quite nicely, if I do say so myself, and I'd like to give it a good finish. I know poplar is noted for its paintability, and I could probably stain the wood to look more golden/brown/etc, but I'm wondering it there is any particular treatment which retains the grain & enhances Poplar's natural tone. I've actually used RIT fabric dye as a wood stain a time or 2 with good results, I think if I could stain the box so the overall color was like some of the natural muted green shades the wood displays in areas, it would be unique & attractive. Any ideas?

TIA

Dan

Dan - I've recently had great results using water-based dyes after sanding @220 grit, then applying a washcoat, and finishing up with a gel stain of somewhat similar color and then a couple of clear shellac coats.
    Works for me! Good luck.
    Tim

I work with a lot of poplar and use water soluble dyes followed by de-waxed shellac for coloration. A typical 'borg oil based stain will not give you very paletable results in my experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I work with a lot of poplar and use water soluble dyes followed by de-waxed shellac for coloration. A typical 'borg oil based stain will not give you very paletable results in my experience.
    Jim - Can you give me a specific brand name for the shellac?

I saw you other posts on the (apparently popular) subject of finishing poplar, where you mention that the green tone turns brown with UV exposure. I made the frame for my TS outfeed table with poplar about a year ago, although I hadn't noticed it, the green has definitely turned brown. I actually LIKE the green. Is there any way to keep/enhance it?

Another thing I learned from your posts: I didn't know poplar was liriodendron tulipifera. I used to live in central Ohio, tulip trees were one of my favorites along hiking trails. Beautiful trees of very impressive stature, in some places. I always though this wood came from those tall, bean-pole-like trees you see in people's yards.

Thanks for the replies.

Dan

There are a number of different trees that are referred to as "poplar". The one most used as lumber is as referred...tuplip/yellow poplar.

It's not possible to preserve the greenish hardwood color indefiniately. Nature of the beast.

For de-waxed shellac, the easiest option is Zinsser SealCoat available at the 'borg. That's typically what I use, but I will also mix from flakes if I want a darker color shellac.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...