Thread: issue with duration paint

issue with duration paint

Hi,

I am having trouble putting duration paint on a metal door. I waited until it has cooled off,
    but it is drying so quickly I can't blend in . I have put Flotrol in, but it doesn't seem to help.
    Any suggestions, or anyone who has worked with it?

Thanks,
    Kerry

Kerry,

You might get more responses on this in the finishing forum. I'd be glad to move it there for you.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken! That would be great. I am a goof!

Kerry

Waterborne paint doesn't allow time to apply as you would with oil based--you need to apply it working mostly in one dirrection, moving quickly and getting one part right before going on. You can't cover a whole section, and then come back and tip off like you would do with oil based paint.
    Frankly I've found it much harder to get really nice surfaces with waterborne acyrlic house/trim paints than with oil based paints. It can be done, the pro painters who did the windows on our new house did a great job, I had to sweat bricks until I shifted to oil based for the rest of the trim.

Kerry,

I have some experience with Duration - it's what I've been using on our house. The first thing I did, a door, seems to mirror your experience. I found I had to load the brush, lay the paint down, load again then move from dry into the wet - tip off move on. As Steve mentioned, no going back and tipping it off the whole stile let alone the whole door. It's a tip as you go kind of thing. I have found for the most part the finish will flow out if I don't mess with it. If you go back into it, it will hold the brush marks when dry. I recently finished the Bilco doors and the paint did lay down and flow out well. Though I did paint while the piece was in the shade which also makes life easier.

It is a pain versus oil, but what I've done so far is holding up very well. (Very dark color in full sun and no chalking or fading to date)

Good luck,

Wes

Kerry, forgive me if you have already tried this, but I like to quickly apply the paint with a small roller and then quickly come back and smooth with the brush.

I may just be imagining it, but it seems the older the water-based paint, the quicker it dries.

Good luck,

Dustin

SW Duration is more often referred to as a "coating" rather than a "paint" and it does require some learning to get it right. Our painters used it on our exterior trim during the addition project. They worked swiftly and avoided excessive brushing. They did use a little Flowtrol, but mostly it was technique. Interestingly, they indicated that it's actually easier to work with with slightly cooler temps than when it's hot because it does set up very quickly.

Get it right, however, and that 50 year warranty is quite nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good Morning,

Thanks for all the advice!

Kerry

I should mention that what was said here is generally true of any waterborne finish--get it on, put it where you want it, tip it off, then LEAVE IT ALONE. Even if you have a run or sag, it's usually best to leave it until dry, then fix it later.

The other advice I have is that you need to judge your coat thickness by the viscosity of the material. Duration is a heavy, thick coating, and as such, generally needs to be put on fairly thick to perform properly. Experience definitely helps, as that allows one to push the envelope of a good, thick coat versus runs and sags everywhere. But, going too thin will lead to overly-quick drying, dragging and brushmarks, potentially even poor adhesion (not enough "wet time" for the chemicals to do their bonding thing).

Jason
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore