Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New triton spindle sander

New triton spindle sander

http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/tri...hp?ID=TC450SPS

Anyone know anything about this and who carries it? I wonder if this is more solid than the other cheap ones that I have seen.?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sostrin View Post
    more solid than the other cheap ones
    Not starting out with a whole lot of enthusiasm huh?

Triton has a rep for making things that are solid but unsophisticated. I aint never seen that gadget tho.

Saw one of these in Woodcraft today and there was a decent review of it in the newest issue of Popular Woodworking. Any one have any experience with it? I'd like a cheap spindle sander for my shop and I've been think about either this one or the Ridgid.

Any advice?

The table looks kinda small?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Da Rigid works great. Haven't seen the Triton.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    The table looks kinda small?
    Exactly.

I saw this at a Woodshow back in march, and that is exactly what I thought. The table is maybe half the size of the Delta BOSS sander. Personally, I'd pass.
    "It's Not About You."

Triton expanded their range since taken over by gmc. A lot of these products is gmc products in differen colours. I wanted to buy the triton planer moulder but was adviced by my dealer that he actually saw one at a triton open day at his shop fall apart. He also said that the returns from unhappy triton customers jumped in the last 6 months. I have 2 triton routers and their steel cutter. Great products.
    At a local big hardwhare store I saw a triton band saw ( marketed as a precision band saw) displayed next to a chinese import under the name of eurasia and a small scheppach. All three of them is exact copies but different colours. The scheppach and eurasia was priced the same but the triton was 20% higher. I must add the bigger scheppach bandsaws still look like great quality and not similar to any other.
    I have just read that gmc is for sale and they are talking to bosch , black and decker and their chinese suppliers.
    The reason for selling seems to be that they are losing money fast and the biggest hardware and tools retailer in australia ( bunnings) refuse to stock their products.
    Last edited by Thomas murphy; 10-09-2008 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Additional information

Isn't it the same as the old Ryobi?
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

It looks just like this one. just a different color.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95088

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas murphy View Post
    Triton expanded their range since taken over by gmc. A lot of these products is gmc products in differen colours. I wanted to buy the triton planer moulder but was adviced by my dealer that he actually saw one at a triton open day at his shop fall apart. He also said that the returns from unhappy triton customers jumped in the last 6 months. I have 2 triton routers and their steel cutter. Great products.
    At a local big hardwhare store I saw a triton band saw ( marketed as a precision band saw) displayed next to a chinese import under the name of eurasia and a small scheppach. All three of them is exact copies but different colours. The scheppach and eurasia was priced the same but the triton was 20% higher. I must add the bigger scheppach bandsaws still look like great quality and not similar to any other.
    I have just read that gmc is for sale and they are talking to bosch , black and decker and their chinese suppliers.
    The reason for selling seems to be that they are losing money fast and the biggest hardware and tools retailer in australia ( bunnings) refuse to stock their products.
    I bought a GMC miter saw long ago when I was just getting started in woodworking. It was a piece of junk. Luckily, it fell apart before I threw the box away and I returned it. Sad to hear that Triton was purchased by GMC - I always heard good things about Triton products.

For a few dollars more, get the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. That one gets pretty good reviews.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-09-2008 at 8:11 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thats the exact same unit as the performax for 88.00, works great for the price

Jeff

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the idea that GMC got them is indeed depressing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    One of the wood rags (Popular Woodworking?) did a small “new product” review on it recently. They said it was louder than the other similar sanders buy about 4 decibels but other than that, it performed well.

I agree, the table does look a lot smaller than my b.o.s.s.

BTW, who's gmc?
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

You know for $50 more you could get the Ridgid combo.
    It is both a spindle and a belt sander.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90016

I have one and its a great little machine and I use it a lot.

Laugh if you wish but... I purchased a $99 Ryobi spindle sander 6 years ago to fill in gaps until I could get a more expensive Jet.. etc. I have worked it to death (with the latest work-out just yesterday) and I have found no reason to up-grade at this point. Just put a piece of duct tape over the name on the side and it has been an excellent value.

People are skeptical of Ryobi (and very justified in many cases) but I found a winner in their 3 x 21 belt sander (sold my PC and gave away my Bosch) as it was a keeper. Some are even skeptical of Rigid (and justified in some cases) but my Rigid 6" ROS (made by Metabo in W. Germany at that time.. now made in China) has been super. And a recent purchase of a Rigid Fuega 6 1/2" circular saw was a wise choice as I absolutely love it. My PC circular which I thought was light before the Fuego is gathering dust.

I have heard much good about the Rigid combo but have not used it. BTW... over the years I have found "every" tool manufacturer has "hits and misses". You just have to determine before you buy what they hit with and what they missed on if possible. I will give these forums create for helping you do that now as before it was more "trial and error".

Good luck...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 10-10-2008 at 8:31 AM.