Thread: Chuck removal

Chuck removal

My chuck went bad on a milwaukee corded hand drill. I removed the screw from the inside and absolutely can't pop the chuck off-tried a prybar and hitting it with a hammer(wood block in between), any harder and I feel like I may hurt the drill.

Any ideas/tips?

Thanks,
    Matt

I had to replace the chuck on a DeWalt drill years ago. I think I had to grind away a bunch to get it to come loose. It was probably the heat that actually got it loose. Honestly in retrospect, I should've just gotten a new drill. It took forever to get off. Sorry I don't remember more about how I did it though.

In the Panhandle of Florida. Just outside Eglin AFB
    Try chucking a large allen wrench. Then using a deadblow hammer give it a whack. May take a couple of tries.

That's some good advice Robert. I use that method all the time and it works great. Sometimes I whack it with a ball pein hammer for the mechanical shock assist effect.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

The chuck should be threaded onto the motor shaft. Some may be left hand threaded. As was said, tighten a big allen wrench into the chuck and then try hitting it counter clockwise, when looking at the chuck from the drill bit end, with a short 2X4. It should then spin off.

Jim

Isn't there a screw that you have to get out first before using the allen wrench method? I thought you had to back the jaws all the way off and reach down inside and remove the screw with a screwdriver.

Sorry. I didn't read the first post close enough. Just noticed that he already removed the screw.

Thanks for the ideas. Problem is, the chuck is busted so I can't tighten up on anything to whack. I'm about at the end of my rope, think I'll just bite the bullet and get another one.

8. The only way I could get mine off was to put the body of the drill in my vice wrapped in a towel, and unscrew chuck using an 18" pipe wrench. You have to grab the end of the chuck at the solid ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Black View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. Problem is, the chuck is busted so I can't tighten up on anything to whack. I'm about at the end of my rope, think I'll just bite the bullet and get another one.
    If you've got a pair of vice-grips that will grab the chuck you could try that. Clamp them on as tight as you can and wack the vice-grips with a piece of wood.

Try this

I think I would call Milwaukee's 1 800 and ask. Maybe an online search would get an exploded drawing and you could figure out the trick.

Sounds like you are stuck. The trick to removing the chuck is getting a good hard wrap on that Allen wrench. The longest and thickest that you have. I removed the chuck to my drill that way, but you really have to give it a hard knock to break it loose. After that, it should unscrew.

As someone said, some have left-handed threads. Your owners manual should be able to tell you which way to hit it (clockwise or anti-clockwise). I cannot recall now which way it was for my Craftsman.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.