Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Lasers

Rabbit Lasers

I am currently talking to a lady at Jinan King Rabbit in China about their laser systems. I've been looking into the HX4060SE and the HX4060N. There is about a 1k difference between them (for me) but I cant really see what the real major difference between them is.

From what ive figured out, the HX4060N is the newer model (it does say "new" on the site and brochure). The N has a 60mm greater elevation depth and i believe it is more compact. But other than that i fail to see the difference that warrants the $1k extra. The only thing i can guess is that it is built better. Anyone know anything about this?

I am looking at adding the red dot pointer, the water cooling system and the truckle if the prices are reasonable. I will be getting a spare lens kit and a spare laser tube.

They say these machines can work with CorelDraw, AutoCAD and Photoshop, so i assume they now have drivers (just for these models) that work much the same as the epilog driver (as i said I can only imagine).

What is the quality of these engravers, like do they do detailed engravings well? How would you compare these to an Epilog or ULS or Trotec systems quality assuming you have the exact same source file?

With the laser tubes, how long (on average) will it take for them to start losing their power? well at least enough to effect my engravings? I know they wont last as well as the american ones, but how have you experiences been? (those who do have rabbit lasers)

Fume extraction...for this size of a system, what kind of fume extraction system would I have to get?? (im talking purex/fumex, i dont know of many others) Im mainly engraving aluminium, cermarked materials, plastics and the occasional wood or acrylic piece (maybe once or twice a month). As some of you may know I will be engraving iPods, iPhones, Laptops. So its that sort of plastic and aluminium. Also if there are any other brands that i should know of let me know! (for fume extractors)

Thats all for now, i would appreciate any help
    I have an Epilog Mini 24 (40W) fueled by a Macbook Pro.

I would PM Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Altman View Post
    I am currently talking to a lady at Jinan King Rabbit in China about their laser systems. I've been looking into the HX4060SE and the HX4060N. There is about a 1k difference between them (for me) but I cant really see what the real major difference between them is.

From what ive figured out, the HX4060N is the newer model (it does say "new" on the site and brochure). The N has a 60mm greater elevation depth and i believe it is more compact. But other than that i fail to see the difference that warrants the $1k extra. The only thing i can guess is that it is built better. Anyone know anything about this?

I am looking at adding the red dot pointer, the water cooling system and the truckle if the prices are reasonable. I will be getting a spare lens kit and a spare laser tube.

They say these machines can work with CorelDraw, AutoCAD and Photoshop, so i assume they now have drivers (just for these models) that work much the same as the epilog driver (as i said I can only imagine).

What is the quality of these engravers, like do they do detailed engravings well? How would you compare these to an Epilog or ULS or Trotec systems quality assuming you have the exact same source file?

With the laser tubes, how long (on average) will it take for them to start losing their power? well at least enough to effect my engravings? I know they wont last as well as the american ones, but how have you experiences been? (those who do have rabbit lasers)

Fume extraction...for this size of a system, what kind of fume extraction system would I have to get?? (im talking purex/fumex, i dont know of many others) Im mainly engraving aluminium, cermarked materials, plastics and the occasional wood or acrylic piece (maybe once or twice a month). As some of you may know I will be engraving iPods, iPhones, Laptops. So its that sort of plastic and aluminium. Also if there are any other brands that i should know of let me know! (for fume extractors)

Thats all for now, i would appreciate any help
    I believe Pete Hagen Uses that model.
    He would be the best source of information.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Blog Entries
    Red pointer is useful if the system can reliably move back to a specific location (not always the case). The Asian water chillers often are not chillers, just radiators, so watch yourself on that one. Don't bother ordering an extra tube... they often show up broken, and they're not known for having good shelf lives. If your current tube dies, pick up a (fairly) new one off of eBay for a few hundred $s. None of them are built better than the others, as quality control simply doesn't exist in those factories... you may get lucky, or you may get unlucky... expect plenty of loose parts when it arrives, particularly extra screws and washers (if the assembler drops something inside the machine, he/she simply grabs another and doesn't bother searching for what they lost... makes power supplies go BOOM when errant screws make their way into the cooling vents).

The spare lens is a good buy, if it's relatively inexpensive... say, $30-50.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

- The truckle is included with the N model.
    - Red laser is $60 extra
    - Extra Lens is $130 (lens and mirrors...)
    - Extra Tube is $220
    - Water Cooling System is $260 (looks from the pic attached to be an actual chiller) She says its more like a "conditioner"

As for getting a tube off ebay, no can do. In australia i dont think people are all that intelligent (as a whole) when it comes to getting things for cheaper. It seems that they all go for the popular brands (in the case of lasers, Epilogs, ULS, Trotec) so there wouldnt be many chinese laser here. So yeah, a search on eBay came with no results. My contact said that if it came broken, i just had to send a picture and they would send me a new one. I dont even have to send the broken one back.

No Australian plugs, so i think i will go for the US plugs (I have a fair few converters because I get things and go to the states often)

I included the "catalogues" (as attachments). Their rep has so far failed to tell me why the 4060N is "better" than the 4060SE besides the obvious elevation height.

***By intelligent you could also say that they are safer, they go with what they know***

EDIT:
    The 4060N machine is our new model with new appearance and much development/improvement.

Compared to the 4060SE model, the 4060N is better for the integrity, the new model design with a new appearance, is developed more suitable for your operating.

It is developed for a bigger up and down value to 340mm that is about 60mm more than the 4060SE model.

It is improved with better parts for the worktable move up and down much smoother and with higher accuracy.
    also the controlling operation can be much easier and simpler as that is designed to set the control panel and power swith seperately, that is more safe and also can avoid some operating accidents.
    Do you all think it is worth the extra $1k??

Also, are these lasers harmful? I would like to take videos of the laser in action, but since the plastic cover is orange, would it be fine to leave it open and take the video like that? All im asking is will the laser harm me or the camera?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zac Altman; 10-15-2008 at 5:46 AM. Reason: Addition of quote + Qs

Also, are these lasers harmful? I would like to take videos of the laser in action, but since the plastic cover is orange, would it be fine to leave it open and take the video like that? All im asking is will the laser harm me or the camera?
    The laser 'should' stop working as soon as the door opens, or you 'could' be harmed.. You 'should' have to defeat the safety features (if any) to keep the door open.. It probaly won't harm the camera, but a reflection 'could' damage your eyes if it strikes you.. Wear safety glasses, most reflected and scattered beams will not pass through acrylic unless focused right on it, but there are some here that do have scars on their plastic covers.. Be careful..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    A reflection could kill the camera's sensor... CMOS does not take kindly to high-IR levels.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thumbs down Aussies Not Intelligent?

Wow, Zac. Are you trying to piss off all of your neighbors? What kind of statement is that, Aussies aren't intelligent enough to buy cheap stuff! I'm not even an Aussie, and that statement made me shudder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bosworth View Post
    Wow, Zac. Are you trying to piss off all of your neighbors? What kind of statement is that, Aussies aren't intelligent enough to buy cheap stuff! I'm not even an Aussie, and that statement made me shudder.
    To be honest I dont want to get into a giant argument about it, that isnt the point of the thread. I do admit that it sounds a lot worse than it did when I was writing it and I am sorry if I offended anyone, i should have said flat out that Australians are safer in the way they buy things. But please, leave it at this.

So far I have only had an answer to the camera question. (and thanks for that)

Zac, I think you should go right ahead and buy the Rabit. Obviously you're a genius and won't have any problems that you can't overcome quickly and easily.
    While you're busily importing stuff that has absolutely no local parts, knowledge or backup available (those attributes are hugely over-rated for a commercial setup), I suggest you also obtain a Tata motor vehicle from India at just $5k. Sure, it has grossly inadequate reliability, handling, braking, power, comfort and safety, but it's cheap! All those other consumers are just not using their intelligence!!!
    And yes, I am Australian, I am being sarcastic, and I really dislike sycophants.

mmmm. funny. but the thing is with cars you have the middle ground, there are a range of different cars at different prices. With the lasers, I either pay $2k for a cheap chinese one or $20k for the lowest of any other. Show me where the middle ground is. I would gladly pay smack bang in the middle maybe more, but hey, I cant find any.

Im just saying that the fact that people are willing to pay such outrageous prices is just beyond me.

Im up for any help you can offer.

Im just saying that the fact that people are willing to pay such outrageous prices is just beyond me.
    The fact that people can and do pay those prices and they can, and do make a living doing it shows there is some value to that thought process. If it were merely people "wasting money", then there would be no market for the more expensive machines.

We understand from your previous posts that you are young and just starting out and perhaps that's the real issue. Most 20 year old people don't have access to $20,000, $30,000, or $40,000 to invest in a business. So the problem isn't really with the cost of the lasers, it's with your ability to fund such a purchase, from what it appears like to me.

Just because you don't have the resources or the need for a $30,000 machine doesn't mean that others don't either.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

mmmm. funny. but the thing is with cars you have the middle ground, there are a range of different cars at different prices. With the lasers, I either pay $2k for a cheap chinese one or $20k for the lowest of any other. Show me where the middle ground is. I would gladly pay smack bang in the middle maybe more, but hey, I cant find any.

Im up for any help you can offer.

Both Epilog and Universal have machines starting around 10k.... right in the "middle ground".

I am not aware of many people that didn't have to scrimp and save to get started in the engraving business. It takes years of "making do" in your business and personal life to become successful in most businesses. I started with a pantograph. It was eight years before I could get into computerized engraving.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Mark, I think he's referring to a Aussie Tax on Imports which takes that $10,000 price and makes it $20,000.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

you know what, what you said is entirely correct. (no sarcasm)
    Last edited by Zac Altman; 10-19-2008 at 4:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Mark, I think he's referring to a Aussie Tax on Imports which takes that $10,000 price and makes it $20,000.
    Yeah, the cheapest Universal now costs about $22k. To me $10k is reasonable, but I guess if I want quality I will have to go for the 20k, its just unfortunate that there arent any systems around or near $10k