Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Anybody else been disappointed with DIY network lately?

Off Topic: Anybody else been disappointed with DIY network lately?

With the disappearance of Woodworks, and NYW being cut down to one episode per week, I've been pretty unimpressed with the "Do it Yourself" network lately. Anybody else feel this way?

I decided to write them an email - maybe if enough people voice their disappointment, we'll start to see more good woodworking and home improvement shows. Here's what I sent them:

I wanted to voice my disappointment in DIY networks recent programming lineup. One would assume that the Do It Yourself network would feature shows that educate homeowners on how to tackle home improvement projects. Instead, you've chosen to air shows that feature teams of cheesy personalities undertaking hasty, haphazard projects and "suprise" transformations. I can only stomach so many landscape makeovers, backyard plasma screens, and basements converted to sports bars before I reach for the remote control. Please give us more education, and less info-tainment. Please give us more craftsmanship and fewer weekend melees. Please give us more substance and less fluff.

Mike I quit watching after about 3 months, at that point I had seen every show in their repetoir (at least once) and everything was a re-run. I just DVR the woodworking shows so that I can watch them on my schedule...

Diddos

Iam with you Mike.I signed up 5 years ago,it has been going down hill ever
    since.There were several wood working shows,but alas no more.
    Jim

Diy

I totally agree...no longer watch it except for NYW. All the other programs just repeat over and over and over and over....

yes ...........
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Carnley View Post
    .... All the other programs just repeat over and over and over and over....
    With the exception of a new episode here and there, that pretty much describes television as a whole. The cable only channels are the worst but long gone are the days where shows had 22 or more new episodes a year.

Gone to the dogs.

They have moved from about 3 hours of woodworking shows down to 1/2 hour in recent weeks.

I am very disappointed.

MK

I agree with the above comments. There is too much 'high-five' stuff and people who think they are funny. BTW, where did Amy Mathews get a contractors license, what ever that is? Probably from a clip-out in the back of a magazine.

The Rock Solid guys would have a decent program if they didn't act like a couple fools. But, OTOH, how many times have you seen laying bricks to make a patio?

In years past I would watch Home Time on pbs.. It seemed to be a pretty basic construction program that explained what was going on, and why.
    Best Regards, Ken

I'm not sure, but I think they must have run out of new episodes. I always watched the Saturday afternoon thru Sunday shows, looking for woodworking. Until a few weeks agao, there were always 2 wood works show and a couple of the Hammerhead shows. Not only that, but the Wood Scuplting abnd both Wood Turning shows are gone too!!!!

I vote for a new president at DIY!

Dan

the worst part is those shows encourage people to cheap'ify their houses.

why pay a contractor when you can build your own cheap room in the basement for a couple hundred dollars!

i wonder how much marketing money it took to make people think that cork flooring was actually desirable...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hess View Post
    With the disappearance of Woodworks, and NYW being cut down to one episode per week, I've been pretty unimpressed with the "Do it Yourself" network lately. Anybody else feel this way?

I decided to write them an email - maybe if enough people voice their disappointment, we'll start to see more good woodworking and home improvement shows. Here's what I sent them:

I wanted to voice my disappointment in DIY networks recent programming lineup. One would assume that the Do It Yourself network would feature shows that educate homeowners on how to tackle home improvement projects. Instead, you've chosen to air shows that feature teams of cheesy personalities undertaking hasty, haphazard projects and "suprise" transformations. I can only stomach so many landscape makeovers, backyard plasma screens, and basements converted to sports bars before I reach for the remote control. Please give us more education, and less info-tainment. Please give us more craftsmanship and fewer weekend melees. Please give us more substance and less fluff.
    YES! And when you try and tell them about it, good luck finding the feedback form!

Here's a link to a similar thread in the OT forum regarding the lack of WoodWorks in particular. It's terrible sad. "DIY brings you the shows that started the home improvement revolution." I call BS.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94559
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    I agree with the above comments. There is too much 'high-five' stuff and people who think they are funny. BTW, where did Amy Mathews get a contractors license, what ever that is? Probably from a clip-out in the back of a magazine.

The Rock Solid guys would have a decent program if they didn't act like a couple fools. But, OTOH, how many times have you seen laying bricks to make a patio?
    I agree with you but I wouldn't have put it so nicely. Thanks for keeping me from getting nasty.

I was most disappointed with the removal of WoodWorks. My wife (in all her wisdom) decided last month to delete all the episodes I had saved on the DVR. Now what am I supposed to do?!

All my favorites are missing- Pat Simpson and Jody. Dean Johnson.*sigh* Clifford

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Mescher View Post
    All my favorites are missing- Pat Simpson and Jody. Dean Johnson.*sigh* Clifford
    Clifford is on PBS, Clifford...

But yes, you do make a good point that personalities that move on are missed in many cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...