Thread: Small Planes...

Small Planes...

Greetings Everyone!

I just joined this fine forum a few days ago, after weeks of perusing the many informative threads. It's great to see such a fine gathering of individuals willing to share ideas and information. Not a common thing in today's world where everyone wants to keep their knowledge "secret" in hopes of gaining an advantage over others.

I applaud the efforts of individuals such as Bob Smalser for his in-depth tutorials on various aspects of woodworking, etc... He could probably make "hammer polishing" seem like an extremely worthwhile endeavour!

Kudos as well to Dave Anderson, among many others, who have shared their inspirational project photos. Now that is some sawtill and plane rack!!! I could go on and thank many individuals, but the people at the Academy tell me I've only got 3 minutes!!!!

I'd like to take this opportunity to share a few tools with you...some you have probably seen before...others not. I've posted a similar thread on Woodnet, so please forgive me if this seems repetitive.

The tools in question are instrument makers' planes. The Ibex, ESE and other chunky brass planes from "Luthiers Mercantile" should seem familiar. The two that I've focussed on are gems created by Christopher Laarman. I'm sure many of you have already seen them...but for those who haven't, it should be a treat. Mr. Laarman no longer makes these planes, which makes them even more special. Here is a link to a few pics...forgive the fuzziness on a few of them. www.home.mycybernet.net/~lnsbois

I'd love to know if anyone else out there has any pics they'd like to share of their own "small planes" that may differ from these - or even better - be craftsman made.

Thanks for humouring me and have a great long weekend. (in Canada at least)
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Welcome Louis

Rest assured that there is no problem with crossposting threads from other forums. We'll take our content from wherever we can get it. I've seen lutherie planes before on occasion, and those are absolutely exquisite. The ball handled ones are truly works of art. I hope you will take the opportunity to contribute here whenever the mood strikes and you feel you have something to offer. Thanks for the pictures.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Well Mr. Wood

I happen to have a fine bottle of Scotch in my shop I'd be willing to trade for the Laarman planes .
    Was good to see you on Saturday Louis.
    Regards
    Ben

Thanks again for the building advice...

...as for trading a certain "MacDonald fiasco" bottle of malt for my treasured Laarman planes, I think not!!! If I'd known the aforementioned malt company was owned by MacDonalds, I'd have switched brands many moons ago!!!

When I FINALLY got home...long story...I laid the parts of the large panel plane (and wee chariot kit) on my bench and tried to think up excuses to put my "must do" renovations on hold to get started on the kit right away. Didn't work. When I woke up from my reverie, the LOML was still in the house to gently remind me (with a fairly large stick) of my priorities!!!

...just a side note here to show you how far "traditional" Ben has swayed from the path...he actually CONVINCED me to got for the brass-sided 17 1/2 kit with the adjuster...and no, he had not had a drop to drink...he simply stated that they were "real purty"...didn't need too much convincing since he had two of these in various stages of completion...they really are mighty purty.

I'll hopefully be starting the kit soon...putting in a few hours in the late evenings when the little one goes to sleep...needless to say, this won't be peining.

I've learned much since building my first kit (Spiers smoother) and have substantially curbed my peining enthusiasm accordingly. I have absolutely no fear of tackling this "larger" kit based on that previous experience.

I'll be posting my Smoother experience on this forum in the next little while (with photos of course) to encourage all you first time builders to take the plunge. It's really not that difficult to do...simply requires a little patience and "gentle" approach...eh Ben?!?

Thanks again to Ben and Doug for enduring all the pains and sacrifices of starting a quality company with the intent of putting these great planes in the hands of the users once again. I wish you continued success (you've got my birthday and Christmas money lined up for the next few years) in the years to come and look forward to all new products from Shepherd Tools.

Cheers,

Louis
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.