Thread: 15 Yr Old Delta Unisaw - Good Buy?

15 Yr Old Delta Unisaw - Good Buy?

I'm shopping Craigslist for a cabinet saw to set up my first shop. My thought was to try and get a good saw to start with. I have a lot of hand power tools and a planer already. I found a pretty clean looking Delta Unisaw that is 15 yrs. old w/ unifence and extension table. Listed for $850. I would shoot for $750 or 800 tops but not sure if that's a good price for me or them. they might also deliver it too which is a bonus

I was going to check it out. What should I look for besides flat top, lack of rust?

And how were the Unisaws from 15 years ago? Does this mean it was made here or overseas?

Thoughts would be most welcome and very appreciated. I feel like I've already gained a lot of valuable info from this forum.

Cheers

Eric

I bought a new 1994 unisaw and sold it earlier this year. I used it in a cabinet shop and all it ever required was normal lube.

I also bought a used 1990 and used it for about 10 years. I replaced a couple of fence parts on that saw.

Unisaws of that era and all unisaws are made in the USA. They are excellent tools.

Selling prices depend on where you are located.

Burt

Be sure it is electrically compatible with your situation--single phase or 3 phase.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

It sounds like the same saw I bought.

Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I picked up a '94/'95 this summer in the same configuration, but with a uniguard added on and a tenoning jig for $700. I thought that was a steal and happily handed over the cash (he wasn't negotiable at all). I've not had it long or used it much, but it's definitely a nice saw. Powerful, smooth and when properly adjusted, very accurate. If you can see it run and the trunion raises and tilts smoothly, it doesn't look abused in general and has all the parts (guard/splitter, wrenches, arbor nut, belts, rails, fence and dust door), not much to go wrong with these. If it's a little rusty, a brass brush, some steel wool and some WD40 or mineral spirits will clean it up fairly easilly.

As Ron has already said, make sure it's not a 3 phase motor assuming you don't have 440v service.

Edit: forgot to say that if it's complete and in decent shape (only needing a little cleaning) $750 sounds like a very fair price. If it has extras like an upgraded blade or decent miter gauge, that seems like a good deal. If they can deliver, even the better, but if you need to get it into a basement try to work them assisting with that into the price.

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Pauly; 11-22-2008 at 8:27 PM.

A fifteen year old Unisaw is still a youngster. (Mine is 1940s vintage and going strong.)

Sounds like the saw is priced on the higher end of the spectrum, especially w/ the economy the way it is right now. I have seen a lot of tools at bargain bottom prices on CL lately. $650 - $700 is what I would shoot for.
    "Less is more." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

If the saw is solid and no missing parts, I would not quibble over $100 on a "lifetime" investment. The Unisaw is the last table saw that 95% of woodworkers will ever need!! Just make sure you understand what you are getting. The Unisaw is a right-tilt saw, and you hope it is at least 3hp/220V single phase. It would be worth a trip to go inspect the saw if possible. Make a check list of things to look for (I am sure the contributors here would be more than happy to help)

The saw retailed for about $1500 15 years ago. If you can get the saw delivered at their asking price you are already money and time ahead! Finding a saw for sale within driving distance is way over half the battle! Finding a $400 bargain in San Diego means nothing if you live in Boston. Good Luck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Sold out from under me

Thanks folks. The guy just called me back and looks like a speedier responder is now enjoying a pristine unisaw. After talking to the guy it sounded like a missed a real deal.

Well back to searching!

Thanks for the responses.

Could also be it was a junker that the seller thought too much of and the buyer didn't know the difference. You never know. Usually though if a Craigslist machine is still around by the time you've gotten an answer to a question here, it's not a good deal. Look at a few, don't jump until you know what you're looking at, and you'll do ok.

Pete