Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stealing ideas???

If anyone posts an example of their work and does not want it to be copied in any form, then they should state so in their post. Regardless of the legal aspects, I would hope that other members would respect that. There are ways to show examples of work without giving away too much, such as a jpg that has any company identifiers left out to prevent stealing of customers. I would think that posting an actual Corel file is an open invitation to copy it
    except when it's posted to ask for help with a technical problem running it.
    Those should be considered off-limits for copying unless permission is given by the poster.

I have posted examples of work here that I specified as patented by my customer just to avoid any confusion.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe, those seem like reasonable guidelines (regardless of the law, as you state). But since some legal issues were raised above (whether something could be commercially exploited because it was posted on a public forum) I thought it would be helpful to clarify. If there are valid IP rights associated with something, they are not necessarily lost by posting. Just as with patented inventions and copyrighted music, IP rights can absolutely 100% for sure be established in the types of original graphic designs/artwork that people here create on a daily basis (and might choose to post). It is not painting with a broad brush to suggest copyrights can be established for these types of works, or that they are necessarily lost by posting. I apologize if it was not clear in my previous posting that I was addressing the broader legal issues. I do agree that based on the manner in which many specific posts have been made here, it could be unreasonable for the person posting to assert infringement if others used it. Allowing use might be the motivation for posting. However, as Joe put very well, commercial use is not intended for all postings.

Disclaimer: the above is intended as general legal information, not legal advice. Please note my use of “not necessarily” and “might” etc. – there are exceptions to the above concepts. For example, prior to patenting, a public disclosure of an invention can negatively impact future patent rights. If specific legal advice is needed for IP, consult a qualified attorney with real expertise.
    45W Epilog Mini 24

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Thanks for the responses,

I really do not care about the legal ramifications it is more the moral and ethical connotations that I was concerned about. I realize anything that is posted here is fair game under the auspices of the Public Domain, but I see this site as a great resource and do not want to tread on other's toes.

Dave let me put your mind at ease. You guys (and ladies) have always been so good to us, you have lifted us up when we were ready to quit, when we felt like we were fighting city so to speak. You have helped us find things that we did not think were possible. You did all this without making us feel like outsiders or like we were not the brightest bulb in the pack. I have been promising the old timers here (and I don't mean age wise either) that someday I'd be able to give something back. When I posted it I prayed that maybe someone could use it and that you all would not think that it was a terrible design and wonder why I posted it. This is my itty bitty contribution to all of you. As previously stated I am indeed honored that you would want to use it. Use it with our blessings.
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

Stealing VS. Sharing

I agree with the the general attitude that if it is here it is shared... I personally would draw the line at taking any idea and going global with it on the web... that should be the inventors little cup of gravy that they enjoy and reap some reward from... as for me and my house we will serve an awesome bowl of chili and no amount of cyber-tourture will make me post the secret ingredients here on the web!!!! <Insert evil laugh here>

Seriously, James & Zelma have helped me out too.. and I am glad to see the positive energy of this site flows to others too... I have been gone for awhile getting some personal issues straightened out and now am back full force to try to make this laser thing turn some kind of profit :-)

I am glad for the friends I have made and their generosity... and I will do my best not only to talk the talk, but also walk the walk...

Take care all... and if I don't get back soon.. Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year... gee I hope I get here between those... LOL

Brent
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60