Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Okay, if you could have have a new lathe what would it be? Jet. Oneway, Mustard Etc.?
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Well Mike, as long as I am dreaming.... it would have to be the Robust 25" American Beauty! Can't imagine anything better!

http://www.turnrobust.com/
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ditto what Steve said. Robust American Beauty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

:)

Oneway 2436...I like..

John Nichols Custom

"The whole enchillada"!

From Woodworkers supply.
    Bob

I already have my "dream" machine...a Stubby.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My kingdom for a STUBBY!

I echo Jims dream machine, I looked at the Stubby before buying the PM3520B. The price was what put it out of the running for me. But someday when the planets alighn and the moon is right, just maybe if I think good thoughts....... I to can own a STUBBY LATHE!

A little dramatic but having fun and making people laugh is a good thing!

If we had it all there would be nothing to dream about.

Have a great day SMC fans!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It's sad the lack of imagination in the world today. You folks don't know how to dream. Everyone has chosen a real machine.

My dream lathe requires no power input other than giving it a spin by hand. It then runs at the speed I need, not the speed I think I need. It has enough torque to turn a 4 foot stump (roots and all) and it never wobbles if the stump is off center by 3 feet.
    It senses catches before they happen and moves the wood out of the way of the tool. It converts shavings to electricity to power my home, and finally, it does all the sanding for me.

Now that's a dream machine.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I have been thinking about a Vicmarc from Woodworkers Emporium (not modified to Am. specs) ever since Stu Batty came to town this fall. I had been dreaming of getting a Robust, but they are solid steel and supposedly transmit more vibration. As a guy who spent a lot of time on an aluminum bicycle, I know just how it feels for vibration to transmit to one's body. So Cast Iron gets my vote. Hadn't decided on the model yet... It's more expensive than the Jet 1642 or PM 3520, but less money than the Robust.

I may have to settle for the Nova since it's affordable. And even that might not be within reach the way the economy is headed.

If I could pick any AND wouldn't have to concern myself with moving it around or placing it in the shop... I would stongly consider a Serious lathe or a Robust (not so worried about moving the sub 1000 lb)

mike

My dream machine is an old craftsman tube lathe with an under powered motor and a bad belt. Oh I am sorry you said dream not nightmare. My actual dream is anything with plenty of power and a VARIABLE SPEED motor.
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

Well I would have said a Oneway until I saw the other replies to this and checked out the Robust lathes. In a word WOW! That sweet 16 model is just too cool. The way you can remove the gap bed and make the distance between centers longer or move it over for another tool rest location. I immediately thought of a 2 post curved tool rest, one post in each location wrapping totally around a bowl blank. Wouldnt that be the berries! Nice machines though pricey like anything else I guess. You gotta pay to play!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

It needs a spindle lock lever that would lock the spindle in any position, not just at specific points, and keep it locked hands off. Said spindle lock would be interlocked with the start switch. A little larger swing would be good, but other than that my 1642 is ok as is.
    Richard in Wimberley

OK, I'm going to get way out of the box.

I have my dream machine. Jet 1220VS. I recently sold my Oneway. Great machine and unlimited capability.

I am tending toward smaller turnings. The 1220 does not break the bank, nor does it require a dream shop to house it. I don't feel any pressure to justify it. I can just enjoy it.