Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really close to purchase decision

That would worry me David. It would worry be because you'd have someone with a laser who doesn't offer service with their product. It would, in fact, allow anyone and everyone with a laser to bid against each other. While that sounds healthy, it's not healthy when you bid $50 to make a laser engraved photograph on a piece of granite, but when someone bids it at $15 because they are bored and have nothing better to do, then where's the service to the industry?

I'm on bid lists now where people will bid anything just to get the job. Doesn't matter if they make money or not. I have to work hard now to bid jobs in my area. I provide a service, a good service, and I'm very interactive with my customers, offering them healthy advice for their needs, which they appreciate. I'm not sure I'd be too happy to go head to head with someone working out part time out to their home, using this as a hobby, not a business, who's 10 states away from me, offering no service.

You think you're having a hard time making money now, open up every single bid to 1000's of people and see how much you make.

Careful what you wish for
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schumacher View Post
    Great Ideas and thanks to all for the suggestions.

Here is my idea....I'm a football referee and do many post season / playoff games. I would like to make 7 coins, using one of them for the initial flip before kick-off and give to the coaches and all other officials before the beginning of the game as a memento of their accomplishments for the year. The design would have pics of their team's helmets on the front and the HS Activities Assoc Logo on the back.
    Greg- sounds like you might be better off with anodized coins, they are flashy, come in colors and would flip more like real coins than wood. Less work for you too, just raster and go. But seriously, buying a laser just to make 7 coins? You must have other things in mind to use it for too, no?

just a suggestion, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Steve,
    I think you are correct and I am wrong.
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

Quote Originally Posted by David Dustin View Post
    Gregg,
    If you think your sales guy is going to be in contact with you after you buy, then you may be in for a rude awakening.
    I am NOT speaking for all, but the majority of them will not call you after the purchase has been made.
    We have not heard from ours since the day we took delivery of the machine.
    The distributor has been great, but the sales guy was not impressive in any way. He took his commission and moved on.

David
    Amen. To understand this from the sales rep's point of view, you have to realize that every minute spent helping you after you give him a check is money lost. All of his expenses come out of the commission he gets. It is a balancing act... enough help so you don't get angry, but not so much that he loses too much money.

The automotive industry learned this a long time ago... it is why the warranty comes from the factory, and not the dealer. The factory pays the dealer for parts and labor, so except for having an unhappy customer, the dealer (and salesman) are not out much cash when things go wrong.

In our industry, the salesman is not compensated for that second (or third) trip out to hold your hand.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Mark,
    But then when we hand deliver a rush project, follow up with a phone call to make sure the customer is happy with their order, what does that cut into?

I get the impression most of the people here are very conscientious about their products and services, and that we go the extra mile as a matter of practice rather than the exception.

Its a bit of a downer to know we don't receive the same consideration.
    Of course this is a generality and not all sales people fit into the first group (no offense to those of you here that really do go the extra mile).
    Hope this isn't a thread hi-jack..
    David
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'd agree with David. In my opinion, 90% of what they demo or show you on a laser at the sales pitch won't make you enough money to pay rent. It looks neat, people will love it, but is there a market for it? In most cases, probably not enough market. Keep in mind, they sell 100's and 100's of these a year (each manufacturer), so if making some trinket is so profitable, and they've sold 100's and 100's of machines that can make it, then the market gets small really quickly.
    Scott has hit the nail square on. Laser engraving has become a hobby, not a business. How many posts on this forum are from hobby types that haven't a clue about running a business? The type that posts "I just got my laser machine, how do I get it to work with my computer? How do I make money with it? For most of these people, it's too late.. the money is already gone, and they don't know what to do.

The people that make money with lasers are people like Rodne... well established, in the engraving business for years. For Rodne, the laser is just another tool in an arsenal of tools.

It's as if you go down to Harbor freight and buy a saw, then hang a shingle outside of your garage saying "cabinetmaking done here". It can be done, but it involves many years of losing money, learning, and investing money in more tools.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but this is what I have learned in the 30+ years in the engraving business.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dustin View Post
    Mark,
    But then when we hand deliver a rush project, follow up with a phone call to make sure the customer is happy with their order, what does that cut into?

I get the impression most of the people here are very conscientious about their products and services, and that we go the extra mile as a matter of practice rather than the exception.

Its a bit of a downer to know we don't receive the same consideration.
    Of course this is a generality and not all sales people fit into the first group (no offense to those of you here that really do go the extra mile).
    Hope this isn't a thread hi-jack..
    David
    Yes, I agree with everything you have said. My own business survives (Just barely lately!) on excellent customer service. Consider this.... Is your sales rep rich? Does he drive up in a new, expensive car? Outside direct sales is a really hard way to make a living. When he sells a system to an experienced engraver, the potential for some profit is there. When the sale is to a hobbyist, or someone that just lost his job and is looking for a miracle cure for his problems, the profit potential (for the sales rep) is much smaller.

Think about it. The chinese machine that cost $5k... how can they do it? Low labor rates, no warranty or service, and poor quality. The difference is mostly in the service... which for most people, comes from the sales rep.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    They aren't fun, they aren't sexy, they don't make great gifts, etc., etc. However, they do make you money.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Many of the items I laser are unrecognizable components of something or other. They are usually in large quantities so I just hit the run button and do something else productive while waiting. Hopefully setting up files for another job.

I have probably never made any "real" money on anything fun or sexy. They are usually in smaller quantities and there is just too much file finagling... and I consider myself fast at it.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Like the others here who make their living from engraving I don't have time to make the pretty or fancy things that the hobbyists make but I do make a living.

I don't think you can make a living or even pay for your machine by making gifty type things. It's not that they're not saleable but that most people don't have the marketing skills to sell them.

One thing too many hobbyists have in common is that they under-price their work which does impact those of us trying to make a living.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Lasers

Hi Greg,

If you purchase a used or new laser from Trotec, the rep can't get paid till you have signed of on an extensive list of things you need to know about the operation of your laser to be proficient. My personal feeling is the reps who don't keep in contact with their customers are short sighted. Allot large percentage of my customers purchase a second laser, purchase Thermark etc. Also staying in contact with your customers also helps the relationship thing, which leads to good references.

Regards,
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-25-2009 at 2:28 PM.

If you are looking for blanks for the coins take a look at Wooden Nickel. They sell them in several sizes ready to laser.

Good luck.
    Bob Keyes
    CI Engraving

60 Watt Chinese Laser (yeah,I like it), Corel X3, Engravograph, KM 2550, Heat Press.