Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Engraving

Glass Engraving

Hi Creekers,
    I've been using the soap and the newspaper technique.
    It's amazing how much smaller the lines are using wet newspaper. I'm having a problem though. I'm engraving wine glasses and because the surface isn't flat I'm getting inconsistencies in the engraving. Is there something besides newspaper I could use that would conform to the shape of a wine glass better?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

If I understand it correctly, many people use dishwashing liquid smeared right on the surface, no paper, no watering it down. Just smear it on. I've never tried it, but it's my understanding that it works.

If you try it, let us know if it works.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Paper

I use a wet paper towel. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    I use a wet paper towel. Works fine.
    Hi Pete,

What's the theory behind the dish washing liquid and the wet paper?

I have been meaning to ask this for some time. I am not disputing that it works, and I have yet to try it, but I am wondering why it makes a difference.

Sorry, just the Engineer in me, I need to understand stuff.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

It dissipates the heat and keeps the engraving more uniform looking (more or less). I've tried the wet paper, and it does work, but I haven't tried the film of soap.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Wet newspaper works well, of course you can use paper towels or any other type of paper you prefer. The idea of using soap instead of water to wet the paper is that it doesn't dry out as quick as water and maintains the adhesion to the glass surface. When the paper fails to adhere to the glass the engraving quality suffers.

Because it is so difficult to keep paper in direct contact with circular objects many just use soap without the paper. The engraving quality suffers a bit but it is acceptable and certainly much better than dry engraving.

You might also try making your lines 80% black instead of solid.
    George

"The more I learn, the less I know."

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

We use the dish soap regularly with great results, it gives a smoother finish. I'm probably reading to much into your question but, are you using a rotating tool so the glass is being rotated as you engrave it?

Wolf

No I'm just engraving and it comes out good but there's a big difference between the soap and the using both the soap and the newspaper. Try a back to back sample and you'll see. I just didn't know if there was something that would flex around the complex contour of the glass instead of the newspaper. The engraving I'm doing on the glass is quite fine, very small font size.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

WOOHOO, I think I got it folks. I tried one of those blue shop towels soaked in soapy water and placed on a glass with straight dish washing soap smeared on it. I was able to stretch out the blue paper towel and have it conform to the shape without bunching up. So far, it looks good.
    I made sure to slow down the speed to give the laser enough ooumph to go through the towel.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

One of the problems with engraving glass and marble/granite is the mindset that because it is hard you need a lot of power. I have been all through that and now I engrave both these materials at about 1/3 the power I started. Sure makes a difference in the quality of the engraving. Try using just enough power to get an acceptable mark.
    Bob Keyes
    CI Engraving

60 Watt Chinese Laser (yeah,I like it), Corel X3, Engravograph, KM 2550, Heat Press.

I never use anything on my glass......

13. Engraving Glass

We use just the full strength dish soap on our glass and it works great. We also put a rolled up piece of that black "foamie" material inside the glass to cut down on the reflection.

When engraving on glassware and vases and such, you really need the rotary attachment otherwise your engraving area is very limited.

I'd like to challenge you all to try a head to head comparison using your current method and smearing soap on the glass then covering it with a soaked blue disposable shop towel. Make sure to engrave a really small detail. I think the differences are huge. Believe me, I hate adding more steps , but if the results are improved......
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

I have switched from newspaper to tissue paper, much thiner and also conforms better to the surface. Just hold in place and spray a water & soap solution with a small spray bottle.

-pete
    ULS X-660 60W / HPDFO Optics / Corel X3/X4 / Photograv / Flame polisher