Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sub-Compact Drill/Driver???

Question Which Sub-Compact Drill/Driver???

I am partial to the 12v Milwaukee subcompact driver, as I am a huge milwaukee fan. I havent bought one yet but I'm interested to see what you all have used and whether or not you like the milwaukee. I saw another cordless post that someone had used most of the subcompacts out there but preferred the metabo the most. I see most are making one now, crftsmn, bosch, panasonic, DW, makita. Which one should I go with?

Jeff:

I went with the Milwaukee and am pleased with it I don't know how it compares with the others so can't speak to that. I got mine on sale at the local hardware shop.

Bob

Jeff
    If you are a Milwaukee fan, get the Milwaukee.
    It looks as good as the rest.
    I have the Bosch, which I bought when they first came out.
    It is the most used tool in my repertoire.
    If I were to start from scratch right now, I would probably get
    the Milwaukee. It has a good American name.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Morrison60 View Post
    Jeff

John
    Now owned by One World Technologies, same people who bring you Ryobi, and Ridgid power tools. Get the 12V LI Ridgid from HD , and get lifetime service agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morrison60 View Post
    Jeff
    If you are a Milwaukee fan, get the Milwaukee.
    It looks as good as the rest.
    I have the Bosch, which I bought when they first came out.
    It is the most used tool in my repertoire.

John
    Me too. Great tool. Sooooo handy.

I have had the Bosch, we have the Ridgid at work and I have the Milwaukee.

They all have about the same power and will do about the same job.

The Ridgid is heavy because of the chuck, if you need a chuck on it all the time this is the one you want.

The Milwaukee and Bosch are about the same but there is one small difference that to me really sets them apart.

On the Bosch to change the hex bit or adaptor you pull the outer sleeve out and hold it while you pull the bit and then put the next one in.

On the Milwaukee you just pull the sleeve out an it locks then when you put in another bit it snaps closed. The makes for a one hand operation and is much faster.

I have 3 of the Bosch, the basic driver, the impactor, and I just picked up the PS30 - which is the drill driver - for $119 at Lowes. If you want the ability to chuck a bit, the Bosch seems like the way to go though the Milwaukee collet sounds better if you don't need a chuck.

I bought the Bosch when they first came out. My helper balked at the price. When I need the Bosch its usually in his posession;-)

AZCRAIG

If you want to use this tool much for drilling, you need to consider if it has sufficient RPMs for the task. Also impact drivers, while typically have high max RPMs are really not good for your drill bits. I have seen only two units in these 10.8-12V families that get close to decent RPMs for drilling:
    Bosch PS20-2A specs promise 0-1100 at the high gear, and Makita DF030DW goes up to 1300 RPM in high speed setting. I have the latter one of these two, and I have dedicated it for all the light drilling needs in my shop. While Bosch would have had a chuck, I got a really good deal on Makita and don't mind using shank style drill bits.

For driving many of the units seem almost equal. I have found both a impact model (clutchless), and a regular drivers with adjustable clutches all get constant use in my shop. I currently have Bosch PS40, PS20, and PS10, for my different driving needs and I am quite happy with all of them.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Kurki; 12-14-2008 at 1:25 PM.

Is the impact really that much better at driving screws than a normal driver?

I have this unit by Craftsman and it has turned out to be a great tool for my needs. I have two full size drills and wanted something lighter to drive screws. Did not want to spend big $$$. At $35 it fit my needs.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey M Jones View Post
    Is the impact really that much better at driving screws than a normal driver?
    Definitely ...and much better at breaking them too
    Most (if not all) have no clutch so you have to keep your eye on the screw and stop when it's seated.
    - Tom

I've got both the Milwaukee & Bosch.
    Pretty much a toss-up on which is a better tool. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Look at each mfg other offerings in the compact line to help you decide.

Only complaint I have is the Milwaukee battery takes quite a bit of "squeeze" to get it to release from the tool, might be a problem for some people.

Ed

I can't speak for either the Milwaukee or the Bosch. I have used the 12v DeWalt for the past few years and am quite happy with its operation. Light enough for no strain, has a numbered set of releases, (don't behead my screws. Just my .00002
    Ed

I saw the Makita 10.8v set (Impact driver and driver) on sale (perhaps clearance?) at Home Depot today for $129.00. Something to consider...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.