Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandfather Clock

I do my reductions in Elements, as well, and usually resize the photo to 8" x 10", at a 72 ppi resolution, and save as a medium (6) file. That puts me in under the upload max. limit.

Larry, if you are using windows, then get the "image resizer powertoy". It is free, and once installed, all you have to do is right click on the image file, select the size (I find that the "640X480 Large" sizing works great for this forum size limit) and voila!
    Free and simple - what more can you ask for?
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Larry, if you are using windows, then get the "image resizer powertoy". It is free, and once installed, all you have to do is right click on the image file, select the size (I find that the "640X480 Large" sizing works great for this forum size limit) and voila!
    Free and simple - what more can you ask for?
    Mike
    Mike,
    Is that available for Vista as well?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry...your work looks great. I like the open design of the clock. Nice shop too!
    -Jeff

That is a beautiful clock. Well done.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Blog Entries
    I think I found a really good alternative to the image resizer powertoy which actually works in vista. It is open source and free of ads of any kind. Pretty basic functionality (which is really a good thing).
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone

There is also one with more features from VSO, and even though it says it is free, it has a popup asking you to upgrade to the paid version everytime you run it. You can find it by googleing "image resizer vista".
    Anyway, I am going to try this when I get home from work this evening. I will upload a couple pics of the finished clock.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the kind comments.
    However, I want to clear something up. Even though I would like to say I did, I did not design this clock, I found the plan for it at Klockit.com and did not alter the plan at all. I was very pleased with the plan detail. It came printed on 11X17 paper and had step by step directions. I think the plan is called "The Winston" on their site.

Also, if you are a upper beginner to intermediate woodworker like me, I would encourage you to try making one of these for yourself. I really enjoyed making this clock, and honestly, it was not that hard. It is really just a simple cabinet with some really fancy hardware. But get ready, IT AIN'T CHEAP! But on the other hand, I think it is worth about double what I have in it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-17-2008 at 2:29 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Larry,
    I was just going to ask if it was the Klock kit plan cause I built one 2 years ago for my wife. You did a very nice job!

Bob

Blog Entries
    Jim Becker had asked that I try to upload a couple pics of the clock to this thread. So here they are. I used the open source image resizer powertoy clone that works with vista to resize the pics before uploading. Pretty cool tool. Very simple and easy to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-17-2008 at 9:40 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Nice job Larry... clock building is on my horizon. I have a GF clock that I bought a few years ago that gains time. How do you adjust them?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Well I finished my 1st grandfather clock last week. I think I enjoyed making this as much or more than any other project I have ever done! It is a present for a very special family in our lives, so maybe that had something to do with how much I enjoyed making it. I moved it up to the house and have been working at getting it to keep good time. I am about there, it has only gained 1 minute in the last 24 hours. That is a big improvement over when I started. It was loosing about 1 minute every 4 hours!
    A co-worker has expressed interest in me making him one, so I may find out if making one for profit is as much fun.

Anyway, I have discovered Picasa web albums and have created one to share pictures of the clock. I started work on it in September, so 4 months for the slowest woodworker on the planet ain't too bad! This is actually a pretty simple design. My next one is probably going to be fancier.
    Here is the link to the web album.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/LarryJB2...fatherClock02#

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Nice job Larry... clock building is on my horizon. I have a GF clock that I bought a few years ago that gains time. How do you adjust them?

Mike
    Mike,
    There is a knob at the bottom of the pendulum that allows you to shorten or lengthen it. If the clock is gaining time, unscrew the knob to lengthen it. If it is loosing time, turn the knob counterclockwise. The instructions that came with the movement said to turn the knob about 1 complete revolution for each minute in a 24 hour period that it is out of adjustment. I found that when the clock is way off, (mine was loosing about a minute ever 3 hours or 8 minutes every 24) I had to tighten the know about 25 revolutions before I got it close to right. But after it was finally pretty close the 1 revolution per minute was right. I'm still working on mine, the last adjustment I made I only turned 1/4 turn as it had only gained 15 seconds in 24 hours. I may have it!
    Larry J Browning

Plan Source

Great work. I have been looking at clock photos a long time, I like this one more than any I've seen. Would you PM a source for purchasing plans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Dale Rockett View Post
    Great work. I have been looking at clock photos a long time, I like this one more than any I've seen. Would you PM a source for purchasing plans
    Dale,
    This is a Klockit plan. Here is the link to the plan http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-13__sku-49250.html
    Larry J Browning

great work!!!! well documented!! thanx for the pics!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al