Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mortiser or Drill Press

Well guys I pulled the trigger on the Jet floor standing mortiser. I read a review at poplular woodworking and that kind of sealed the deal. The guy said it was a great tool for the $770 back in June of 07. Well at a price of 379.98 shipped to my door I think that it was worth it. I am wondering what is joining on with this tool. So many people that are on this forum have purchased it. Is it being redesigned? Well it seems that the drill press will have to wait. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 12-17-2008 at 4:37 PM.

Paul, I think you'll find that the mortiser may change your approach to projects. They are huge timesavers when needed, and you'll find you "need" it much more than you thought. Also, if you don't have tenoning jig yet, I'd start looking.

Kirk

Kirk,

In the past I have avoided projects that would require mortises to be stong enough, now that will not be the case any longer. I have always felt that this was a luxury tool and not a nessity. I still think that still is the case, but my wife really wants this set of bunk beds, and has already got the plans. I told her that the style she wants will require a lot more work than a different set. So I quess that is my way of justifing this purchase. Now I have to find a set of chisels. Thanks

Paul, I think you made the right choice. In fact my JFM-5 just showed up today! I bought it because it's a steal at the price. I was going to buy a bench top mortiser, but when this became available at that price, I was ready! I have more available floor space than bench space (I have 26 linear feet of bench space but I tend to fill it up quick), and this is such a fine unit that it was a no-brainer.

I have gone the route of buying a benchtop drill press (Hitachi new from Lowes last year) and replacing it with a floor model when I found some pieces were too large for the bench unit. I bought a 6" jointer, when I really need at least an 8".. So, no more. I won't buy it unless it's the right one, and the last one, that I'll need.

Even though you already pulled the trigger, I think this statement of yours right here clarifies matters pretty well:

"Or should I buy the mortiser for what may possible be the largest mortising project I ever do even though my wife loves mission style furniture"

You will be building a lot of mission furniture, go with the stoutest dedicated mortiser that you can, i.e. a floor model. The Jet fits the bill.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

One last thing Paul,
    The mortising drills bits right out of the box are going to yield less than desirable results until you tune them.

See the Morris chair thread about scallops and make darn sure they are sharp. You need that Rockler 3pc jig and a honing on the blades in addition to tuning the diameter of the augers.

You can come back when you have questions and remember, it isn't a GLOAT without pics.... it is like it didn't happen.

Dale Earnhardt would own this mortiser for sure
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"