Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PIP - Cocobolo Jewelry Box

Blog Entries

Did the Lid....

Well, today - so far, I cleaned up the splines on the box and measured and cut the pieces for the lid. I, then, bevelled the lid to 15*

In a previous project or two, I've screwed up a lid or two doing this without a jig.... Today, I decided to make a couple of jigs for the bevel cuts on the lid. I made one for the length and a taller one for the ends.

Here's some pics from today.

Blog Entries

One more pic....

I went back down to the shop and cut the bevels for the rest of the box.... It's all downhill from here...

Blog Entries

Mineral Spirits

Well, today I made the handle for the lid and then put the lid on the box. Then I sanded...sanded and sanded some more. I sanded from 100, 120, 150, 180, 220 and then 320.

I was trying to "dome" the lid....so this picture helps me to see if it's how I want it, or if I need to sand some more.

I used my air compressor to blow out the dust, then I used a tack rag, then I wiped it with Mineral Spirits. I'm up here typing away while the Mineral Spirits evaporates. Which it does quickly - you can see where it evaporated already in the picture.

Settin' this aside and gonna work on the tray. Probably no more pictures until it's totally complete..... so, there ya have it. My Project In Progress for a Jewelry Box....

I plan on putting on a coat of dewax'd shellac - let it dry - sand to 600. This will seal in the natural oilyness of cocobolo. No need for BLO or any of the others...the wood is oily enough. Then, I think I'm going to go for a gloss lacquer finish.... let it cure, then wax with some Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

Thanks to all for looking and keep your eyes open, in about a week I'll post the finished box on another thread. As always - any comments, critiques would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ed Sallee; 12-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Nice looking box Ed.. thanks for sharing the process of making it!

Dave
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!

Blog Entries
    Wow-----another Sallee!!!
    We're few and far between....

Man Ed... I am impressed. That came out great!
    And on a ShopSmith. Very nice.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dewey... I used a shopsmith for the horizontal boring of the lid pins and it's bandsaw and disc sander.... but, the cuts were done with my DW746 & Incra 1000SE....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    Thanks Dewey... I used a shopsmith for the horizontal boring of the lid pins and it's bandsaw and disc sander.... but, the cuts were done with my DW746 & Incra 1000SE....
    Yep...ok that makes better sense. Excellent all around craftsmanship.

I also have the 1000SE and many other products from INCRA. They have never let me down. I have never been exposed to such accurate tools.
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    Wow-----another Sallee!!!
    We're few and far between....
    Yep! we're taking over!!! Good to meet you my friend! Went to your website and you have made some cool things! Things I can only dream of making at present time...

Dave
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!

Blog Entries
    OK - I lied. You guys are probably getting sick of looking at this box.... Just one more picture tonight.

I was just going to hold off - but, I thought I might as well PIP on through the finish process.

Here's what I did.... After the mineral spirit bath, I put on one coat of Zinssar Spray on shellac, when dry, sanded with my ROS with 320 again. Gave the box another mineral spirit bath and shot a second coat of shellac.

Once this coat was dry, about an hour - I wet sanded with 600. Buffed it out with a cotton rag and then gave it another mineral spirit bath.

Then I put on 4 coats of WATCO spray on Satin lacquer, then 5 coats of Watco spray Semi-Gloss. I'm going to let it dry overnight now, and then wet sand with 600 one more time - then top coat with alternating Satin & Semi-Gloss. Stopping when it looks done.

OK - I promise - no more pictures in this post.... the next go 'round - it'll be done (except for the tray).....

YES brother! Waiting for the inside next
    Dewey