Thread: billiard chair / thru motise question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looks like a great project. Will you make another for the challenger?

The joints look great and your approach is sound. I am currently working on mortise and tenons for the back legs of a pair of chairs with carved wooden seats. The mortise will be hidden and attached with glue and a long screw. The front of the leg is tapered about 2 1/2 degrees to the seat surface. The edge of the leg to seat joint will show and the rest of the shoulder will be fussed over with chisels to get a solid fit.

I try to stay away from the shoulder edge to prevent slight damage to the surface grain. Did you have any problems with protecting that edge as you pared away?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Looks like a great project. Will you make another for the challenger?

The joints look great and your approach is sound. I am currently working on mortise and tenons for the back legs of a pair of chairs with carved wooden seats. The mortise will be hidden and attached with glue and a long screw. The front of the leg is tapered about 2 1/2 degrees to the seat surface. The edge of the leg to seat joint will show and the rest of the shoulder will be fussed over with chisels to get a solid fit.

I try to stay away from the shoulder edge to prevent slight damage to the surface grain. Did you have any problems with protecting that edge as you pared away?
    This chair is for the challenger. I don't miss much so I wanted them to be comfortable, and make it easier for them to write that big check.

And I did have to take a care when making the final push of the arm onto the tenon. It started to raise the grain a bit so I chamfered the edges of the tenon first. Made it safer but still required care.