Thread: Western Red Cedar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I built a gazebo for a local nursing home a few years back, and to source my lumber, I ordered in a bunch of 2x6's from Menards. They can get the good stuff, if you ask the right person. Of course every thing needs to be processed from a 2x6, but it works. I like the wood too, but the dust gives me a serious headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I like the wood too, but the dust gives me a serious headache.
    I second that. Make sure you wear a mask when sanding. I get cold like symtoms, a sore throat and runny noise, if I breath too much sanding dust from cedar. Cuting and milling it isn't a problem, just the sanding.

I dont know if you have done a search on the wester red cedar lumber association but we have searched for suppliers there. We buy wholesale cedar from two sources however one is in Columbus OH and the other here in WV. Not much good to you out in AZ.

Finding odd and larger sizes is difficult if you are not purchasing in unit quantities. We have found many sources for 4/4 which is rough one side and smooth the other. However most all dimensional stock we come across is surfaced.

http://www.wrcla.org/purchasing_cedar/distributors.asp

Its often a gauntlet of calls going through these distributor searches but our tactic is usually when someone says they dont have it, ask if they know of anyone who might. Usually you turn up something but it might be 10 calls later.

Mark

I get some very nice vertical grained old growth WR cedar from
    http://canadianwoodspecialties.com/ located near San Diego.
    WoodsShop

I make kayak paddles out of the stuff, but my only local sources are all dimensioned lumber. The smell is great, but as noted above the dust can be mildly toxic.

Mike

I'd saw it out of the larger sizes of lumber or timber. You should be able to find that material locally. Its light, easy to handle and to cut. Finding material locally will be cheaper than shipping it in.

When you ask around be sure to ask about timber not just lumber. Larger timbers as used for timber frame structures might be a good source for your project.