Thread: Calling all owners of Lie-Nielsen Scraping Planes; 212 112 85

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The debate continues. Interesting final post in this thread
    https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...g-a-Stanley-80
    In this thread I noticed that both Hock and Superior Tools are not discussing any hook with their instructions for preparing an edge for a scraper. That was in 2004. Today, if you go visit those websites, both talk about a hook.

It's interesting to see that they've update their website but the fellows discussing this topic in 2004 seems to be happy with a "no burr" solution. Who's right?

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    In this thread I noticed that both Hock and Superior Tools are not discussing any hook with their instructions for preparing an edge for a scraper. That was in 2004. Today, if you go visit those websites, both talk about a hook.

It's interesting to see that they've update their website but the fellows discussing this topic in 2004 seems to be happy with a "no burr" solution. Who's right?
    I think that the woodworking community have rediscovered a number of "old ways" since the dark ages of the 1990s and 2000s. The most obvious example is proper use and setup of cap irons, and this would appear to be another.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-10-2018 at 8:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post

Depends who is giving the advise. LN seem to offer the user the choice to experiment with both options. A clear indication that not all timbers and grain types will react favourably with a turned hook. No different to that opinion being reflected in the 2004 thread.