Thread: Plunge Router

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton is one of the most valuable books in my WW library.

Easier question.

What's the max weight I should be considering for a handheld plunge router? I won't be making 1,736 box joints any time soon, so I doubt tiring my hands will be much of an issue.

I think that's just about impossible to answer definitively. It all depends on the user. I think a heaver router is more stable, but if it's too heavy for you to wield easily, then it doesn't matter how stable it is. I think you have to pick one like you'd pick out a ball at the bowling alley. Try a bunch until you find the heaviest one that still feels good in your hand and you can still swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    Easier question.

What's the max weight I should be considering for a handheld plunge router? I won't be making 1,736 box joints any time soon, so I doubt tiring my hands will be much of an issue.

I have the PC 7518 In a table.. Its likely not quite as heavy but its still a beast.. I don't prefer it free hand.. its way too heavy.. My favorite router is my 1400 Watt Festool which I believe weighs 10-1/2 lbs.. Its about the perfect weight.. At 1400 watts.. its about 12 amps. I have never found it short of power. Truly impressive.. Right now I am cutting large and deep mortises with a 1/2 Spiral bit.. Power is not a concern..

I would suggest any 2-1/4 hp router would be as powerful as my Festool.. Its more than powerful enough for freehand work.

The only fella's I know who use the Big PC Plunge Routers are Curved Staircase guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton is one of the most valuable books in my WW library.
    Mine too. His Router Magic is a good candidate for keeping it company...