Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My name is John, and I misuse tools...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    My 1"-wide Japanese laminated chisel makes a great scraper for rusty machine tops. It really does not dull the scraper and works great.
    I use a 2" Stanley chisel for that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use my 6" starret scale as a glue scraper for inside corners. I have never found a better tool for this, and its always in my pocket. Sometimes I even clean it when I'm done. I have even used it as a scraper on a few rare occasions when it was young and sharp. I use my DP as a beer capping station during brewing sessions..........ok, I'm lying about that, but I wonder if it would work? I have used a jointer with carbide blades to clean up an aluminum straight edge on occasion. Not my own jointer mind you, but it works well. Last week I used my block plane to shave some soft aluminum hardware that had shifted a few thousands during an installation, becoming proud rather than flush. I had no bearing surface for a router, so block plane it was. Turns out tool steel beats aluminum in a game of rock-paper-scissors!

I don't consider it "misuse", I think of it more as "capability enhancement".

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Olson View Post
    I don't consider it "misuse", I think of it more as "capability enhancement".
    Or in software parlance "an undocumented feature."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Clark View Post
    Or in software parlance "an undocumented feature."
    My software doesn't have bugs... it has random features. If it's really noticeable, it's a feature with precedence.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

IMO, some of these "uses" are abuses... just a couple of letters, but what a difference.

Just "Off Label" use

Sure, some of the suggestions are simply "off label" uses, often very creative and or at least entirely harmless, nothing wrong with that; others, not so much.

Of course, any is free to use or abuse their own possessions as they see fit, but, not trying to be either a killjoy or a scold here, I can tell you that you'd get your ass handed to you in many professional shops if you used someone else's tool is some of the manners mentioned. Just sayin'....

I ran over my chain saw with the tractor yesterday. Set it on the tire to sharpen it. Can't see the tire because of the loader, and you know the rest of the story........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I ran over my chain saw with the tractor yesterday. Set it on the tire to sharpen it. Can't see the tire because of the loader, and you know the rest of the story........
    That makes you wish they were made of rubber (the chainsaws) after you find out how much damage they take. Hope it wasn't an XP or an MS660 or something!

Larry, I ran over my Poulon 20" chainsaw with my tractor. It fell off the loader while bringing up some wood and I hadn't noticed it missing until it was too late. $25 in parts and it was right as rain! Go figure...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I've used my dust collector as a wasp collector. The repurposing of the technology makes it more satisfying than resorting to the more pedestrian flyswatter. Plus I enjoy the "Oh Crap" look on their angry little faces as they approach the event horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I use my 6" starret scale as a glue scraper for inside corners. I have never found a better tool for this, and its always in my pocket. Sometimes I even clean it when I'm done. I have even used it as a scraper on a few rare occasions when it was young and sharp. I use my DP as a beer capping station during brewing sessions..........ok, I'm lying about that, but I wonder if it would work? I have used a jointer with carbide blades to clean up an aluminum straight edge on occasion. Not my own jointer mind you, but it works well. Last week I used my block plane to shave some soft aluminum hardware that had shifted a few thousands during an installation, becoming proud rather than flush. I had no bearing surface for a router, so block plane it was. Turns out tool steel beats aluminum in a game of rock-paper-scissors!
    I haven't used mine to scrape but I do use it to spread epoxy when I'm doing inlays. I've found nothing better for getting the epoxy to squish into the little crevices. I suppose I could just buy a small piece of spring steal, but a quick wipe with alcohol is all it takes to bring the rule back to new, so why bother? I imagine that if I just let it dry, it would just crack right off, but I haven't been brave enough to try that because I really do like that little rule.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 06-16-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Coller View Post
    I've used my dust collector as a wasp collector. The repurposing of the technology makes it more satisfying than resorting to the more pedestrian flyswatter. Plus I enjoy the "Oh Crap" look on their angry little faces as they approach the event horizon.
    Ok Steven Hawkins LOL

Blog Entries
    On my current project I have a row of 8 mortises of 1/2". I made them with a plunge router and now have to turn round holes into square holes (BTW, there are 4 pieces with 8 mortises each). Last night I used my hollow chisel mortiser and a rubber mallet to "mark" the holes so I can chisel them out. It worked pretty well.