Thread: Setting up a new woodworking shop - have some questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Your machines will run more efficiently and it will save you money.
    Nick

I'm sorry, but I have disagree with this statement, as it applies to real world application. In a lab, and on paper, it has merit. To actually quantify the difference is so small, that it wouldn't be apparent to a user.
    Motor efficiency is motor efficiency, it doesn't change with voltage. The amount of power required for a motor to perform a given task is equal regardless of voltage. As are the losses. It's just how it flows, that makes the difference. Add the current in both legs of 240 motor,and it will equal the same current in the single leg of a 120vac powered motor, all things being equal, for a given task. Power is power.
    A motor running on 120vac, versus 240 vac, will require the same amount of power in watts, for the same given task.

The most compelling argument for wiring a shop for 240vac, is that it will facilitate future growth. 120vac powered motors stop at 2 HP, generally. 3 HP and up will require 240. As a person keeps up with this craft, they will naturally gravitate toward bigger, more powerful, pieces of equipment. A dust collector being principle.

Once again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the cost to rewire a shop for 240vac would never be realized back in the theoretical efficiency difference between a 120vac, versus, 240vac, motor.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-29-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)