Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: A chip breaker reminder

I should apologize to any forum members I may have offended. I should just take my knocks and forget them. I have too strong a sense of injustice,and in this World I need to remember that life is just not fair. That's the truth of it. No one has prompted me to

write this. It is entirely voluntary. Though I haven't said anything untrue,I might be better off not saying them. What set me off was a sense that David had been possibly denied credit. I know I have been,too,but that's over with. This is a great forum.

I still think that those who are "gurus",or who place themselves as experts should be more careful how they show others,who are trying to learn tool use,in videos.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-18-2012 at 1:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    Seems like a very expansive collection of knowledge, much like this place is!
    It is, but it's a smaller group and it can really delve into splitting hairs...repeatedly. It's an old school format, and like you say, is harder to read than here.

Thanks Chris.

And George, remember, those who seek knowledge because they want to learn all they can, generally find that knowledge.... ( even learning when and where credit is due) I knew immediately when I saw the blog posts and the video that the chip breaker topic was a light that started burning bright in the online forums before any magazine or writer got ahold of it. Most of us in the hobby were aware of that fact too.

Having said that, I like the former editor ( now publisher ) in Kentucky. I think he puts things in a very realistic tone, and he has saved me some money when I was considering some tool purchases.... And he ( along with you, albeit perhaps on different channels ) and those he publishes are trying to drag out the some what forgotten/lost history of woodworking and tool usage. Something that hardly any one else is doing on a sizable scale at this time.

( please write a book or five George!!!! They will be the center point of many a woodworking library )

all in all, the analysis of the craft, it's tools and techniques has never been more widely discussed than in this, the Internet age. Credit is due, sure. I hope the situation gets resolved.

John,

Back in May I made a video about setting the capiron. You can find links and some background information on my blog:
    http://seekelot.blogspot.nl/2012/06/...ipbreaker.html

Kees,your straight chips remind me of a 19th.C. picture of a cabinet maker planing wood. Those long,straight chips are flying up out of his plane. It looks just like he is using the chip breaker very closely set as it should have been. This picture has been posted here before,I'm pretty sure. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Summary to round out the thread since it's wound on a long time, and gotten into all kinds of stuff other than chipbreakers (it seems to be drawing heat like a heel wrestler, too):
    1) the knowledge must've existed at least since the first double iron planes were made in quantity. That's over 200 years ago.
    2) Warren Mickley has beaten the drum about it for years (my favorite, and what were the most irritating comments to me when I was on the other side of it, are the comments where Warren flatly states that if you have trouble with a double iron plane, you don't know how to use it, no matter how experienced you are with other things or how much you think you know about it. I only didn't paste them here because they're property of another site). Warren has been using common double iron planes since before kato and kawai videos were made. Warren would've been beating the drum without Kato and Kawai's information. I have no idea who taught him to use a double iron plane.
    3) Several of us were talking about using a double iron plane on the forums and in PMs, starting march '12, before there was any video and before we knew about it. We didn't pick up on it because of the video, but the video did offer excellent ammunition to show that it works.
    4) Because of the talk on the forums, Bill contacted us and said "I have some information to show you, we have to get it out there". Bill wanted the focus to be influencing the ROS type users who wouldn't use a plane unless it worked every time (I don't think that's worked out). I wanted just to figure out what warren knew that I didn't, and second, to get the common pitch planes to perform like they must've been able to (else we would've seen more higher pitch plane versions, which almost disappeared completely once the double iron plane was popular).
    5) The unearthing of the video was brought by forum members - bill and steve (not me), it should be credited that this change in general came about as a result of forum discussions and the work of curious forum members and that without forum discussion fostering it, there'd be no bloggers talking about it. In less than a year, the discussion has gone from everyone accepting that a tight mouth and steep iron was the only way to mitigate tearout to, hopefully, everyone accepting that you can do the same thing with an inexpensive common pitch plane.
    6) there are better places to get advice about it than bloggers (Kees' blog notwithstanding), and anyone who tells you it's tedious...as warren pointed out half a decade ago...doesn't know what they think they know.

This came about mostly because I was talking to george offline and I mentioned that I saw a lot of static crediting the origin of all of this to the wrong place. As in it was being attributed to people who had nothing to do with it, those people didn't attribute it to themselves. I don't think anyone saw my forum post and claimed credit or accepted it, I'm not that vain. I think they probably saw the video that was unearthed by Bill and Steve's labor. And without Warren, there would've probably been no drive to find information. Mark Hennebury would've worked in obscurity, too, as far as the forums go (and mark fully understood the use of the second iron because supersurfacers use them). Without Bill Tindall and Steve Elliot, the work Kato and Kawai did would not have been shown to us. Without warren's talk about double irons all the time, and without warren torching expensive planes at WIA with a cheap plane, I wouldn't have had any interest in following up, either.

I wouldn't have said anything about it, but George was nice enough to. It did bother me that the discussion was turning toward crediting people discovering something that was actually a collective forum effort, and the advice coming from elsewhere wasn't as good as the advice that we've already put out there.

If anyone is bothered that we think knowing where things came from is important, that's OK. If anyone is bothered that George thinks we should get information that's as accurate as possible, that's OK. If anyone is bothered that I think the same thing as george thinks, that's OK, too. I'd hope what comes of it is that we collectively realize that the forums (any of them that get involved in rigorous discussion, some generally don't) where rigorous discussion occurs are likely to have the greatest breadth, depth and accuracy of information...once you know where to go on them to get it.

(perhaps we can close it out at that and not have any more back and forth not related to cap irons.....well, don't confuse me with one of those type of members who likes to tell anyone else what they can do. maybe we can dig up another whopper next year as a group. This year it was cap irons, it still excites me to use $14 of plane and replacement iron and get the same results I've gotten with planes costing 40 times that much. What warren said, we finally have the tools to "get it" more easily.)
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-18-2012 at 11:46 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Summary to round out the thread since it's wound on a long time, and gotten into all kinds of stuff other than chipbreakers (it seems to be drawing heat like a heel wrestler, too):
    1) the knowledge must've existed at least since the first double iron planes were made in quantity. That's over 200 years ago.
    2) Warren Mickley has beaten the drum about it for years (my favorite, and what were the most irritating comments to me when I was on the other side of it, are the comments where Warren flatly states that if you have trouble with a double iron plane, you don't know how to use it, no matter how experienced you are with other things or how much you think you know about it. I only didn't paste them here because they're property of another site). Warren has been using common double iron planes since before kato and kawai videos were made. Warren would've been beating the drum without Kato and Kawai's information. I have no idea who taught him to use a double iron plane.
    3) Several of us were talking about using a double iron plane on the forums and in PMs, starting march '12, before there was any video and before we knew about it. We didn't pick up on it because of the video, but the video did offer excellent ammunition to show that it works.
    4) Because of the talk on the forums, Bill contacted us and said "I have some information to show you, we have to get it out there". Bill wanted the focus to be influencing the ROS type users who wouldn't use a plane unless it worked every time (I don't think that's worked out). I wanted just to figure out what warren knew that I didn't, and second, to get the common pitch planes to perform like they must've been able to (else we would've seen more higher pitch plane versions, which almost disappeared completely once the double iron plane was popular).
    5) The unearthing of the video was brought by forum members - bill and steve (not me), it should be credited that this change in general came about as a result of forum discussions and the work of curious forum members and that without forum discussion fostering it, there'd be no bloggers talking about it. In less than a year, the discussion has gone from everyone accepting that a tight mouth and steep iron was the only way to mitigate tearout to, hopefully, everyone accepting that you can do the same thing with an inexpensive common pitch plane.
    6) there are better places to get advice about it than bloggers (Kees' blog notwithstanding), and anyone who tells you it's tedious...as warren pointed out half a decade ago...doesn't know what they think they know.

This came about mostly because I was talking to george offline and I mentioned that I saw a lot of static crediting the origin of all of this to the wrong place. As in it was being attributed to people who had nothing to do with it, those people didn't attribute it to themselves. I don't think anyone saw my forum post and claimed credit or accepted it, I'm not that vain. I think they probably saw the video that was unearthed by Bill and Steve's labor. And without Warren, there would've probably been no drive to find information. Mark Hennebury would've worked in obscurity, too, as far as the forums go (and mark fully understood the use of the second iron because supersurfacers use them). Without Bill Tindall and Steve Elliot, the work Kato and Kawai did would not have been shown to us. Without warren's talk about double irons all the time, and without warren torching expensive planes at WIA with a cheap plane, I wouldn't have had any interest in following up, either.

I wouldn't have said anything about it, but George was nice enough to. It did bother me that the discussion was turning toward crediting people discovering something that was actually a collective forum effort, and the advice coming from elsewhere wasn't as good as the advice that we've already put out there.

If anyone is bothered that we think knowing where things came from is important, that's OK. If anyone is bothered that George thinks we should get information that's as accurate as possible, that's OK. If anyone is bothered that I think the same thing as george thinks, that's OK, too. I'd hope what comes of it is that we collectively realize that the forums (any of them that get involved in rigorous discussion, some generally don't) where rigorous discussion occurs are likely to have the greatest breadth, depth and accuracy of information...once you know where to go on them to get it.

(perhaps we can close it out at that and not have any more back and forth not related to cap irons.....well, don't confuse me with one of those type of members who likes to tell anyone else what they can do. maybe we can dig up another whopper next year as a group. This year it was cap irons, it still excites me to use $14 of plane and replacement iron and get the same results I've gotten with planes costing 40 times that much. What warren said, we finally have the tools to "get it" more easily.)
    I'll bet you weren't half as excited (or won't be, which is it?) as the day you put an important amount of folding money back into your hip pocket from selling a boatload, or even a few, premium planes because this technique has basically made them superfluous. Hey, if you're getting the same results why not? Maybe you already have and I missed that post. A fourteen dollar plane. Imagine that.

The lovely Mrs. aware of this breakthrough? Have you given a parting gift to the UPS man? You won't be seeing him any longer I suppose. May we assume that your kit is complete with regard to finishing planes? You 'thinning herd' or anything like that? Please let us know if anything juicy is for sale.
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 12-19-2012 at 6:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Kees,your straight chips remind me of a 19th.C. picture of a cabinet maker planing wood. Those long,straight chips are flying up out of his plane. It looks just like he is using the chip breaker very closely set as it should have been. This picture has been posted here before,I'm pretty sure. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Yes! And these rather stiff straight shavings are clearing the wooden plane much better too. On softer stuff, when planing fast and furious, the shavings are indeed literally shooting out of the plane. I remember a German text where this is explained too and the major advantage being said is that the shavings don't curl up in front of the plane anymore.

Personally I'm not thining my herd of smoothers yet. But they didn't cost me much in the first place, and I really like all of them. The double iron technique works very nicely in all my planes. I guess I fall squarily in the tool collector category.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    I'll bet you weren't half as excited (or won't be, which is it?) as the day you put an important amount of folding money back into your hip pocket from selling a boatload, or even a few, premium planes because this technique has basically made them superfluous. Hey, if you're getting the same results why not? Maybe you already have and I missed that post. A fourteen dollar plane. Imagine that.

The lovely Mrs. aware of this breakthrough? Have you given a parting gift to the UPS man? You won't be seeing him any longer I suppose. May we assume that your kit is complete with regard to finishing planes? You 'thinning herd' or anything like that? Please let us know if anything juicy is for sale.
    Charlie, I'll let you make up your own straw scenarios. Whatever excites you. It makes no material difference in my "folding money" either way.

10. Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Charlie, I'll let you make up your own straw scenarios. Whatever excites you. It makes no material difference in my "folding money" either way.
    Figured as much. This all seems to be more about posts on forums and blogs than boots on the ground woodworking. So much for $14 planes kicking $600 planes' "assets."
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 12-19-2012 at 8:36 AM.

I don't know man, I've no dog in this, but your last two posts in this thread seemed excessively snarky, Charlie. I'm not sure the point, but it reads as kind of rude just for the sake of it.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

thread 6 days old and pushing 6900 views. (did I read that right!!!)

Wow.

I am a student here, and appreciate everyone that contributes their thoughts and time. There is no doubt in my mind that many times I do not do things the 'right' way. I will admit, that sometimes I just dont care. (am horrified myself to think of all the different things I have used as a 'hammer')

Dereks post was especially appreciated. One of the reasons I like this forum is the willingness to offer feedback and direction - but also the tolerance to just say, ya - you really screwed that up but next time could do xyz and improve on it. Its just my personality, but if I have to sit through a long lecture and training on everything I ever tried - I would lose interest and go a different direction for sure. I also have a fair bit of philosophical value that 'there are a lot of ways to skin a cat', and 'Im not always looking for the 'optimal' way, just 'a' way'.

Which is just saying that yep. Sometimes I just aint gonna listen. Sorry. If this means someone is going to then withhold their knowledge.. well, ok then I guess. For me though - especially with my children - I offer then guidance and wisdom that I can, but let them ultimately make much of their own decisions and learn. My belief is that this experience is a key part of learning.

I try to respect everyone here. And can learn 'something', from 'anyone'. Even if they are giving me bad advice (because ultimately, my experience in trying out this advice will arm me with the knowledge to decide whether it is preferred over what I might otherwise do - and I do reserve this right to form that decision on my own, no matter where the source of the knowledge). I have learned over the years that so much of what we 'know' - we really dont. I want to hear it. Then will try it out for myself.

I guess this just makes me a cantankerous old woodworker wanna be.....

13. Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I don't know man, I've no dog in this, but your last two posts in this thread seemed excessively snarky, Charlie. I'm not sure the point, but it reads as kind of rude just for the sake of it.
    The revolution doesn't seem to be so revolutionary. There's talk of one to be sure, but that seems to be about it.
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 12-19-2012 at 8:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    thread 6 days old and pushing 6900 views. (did I read that right!!!)
    That's the "drawing heat" I referred to. Except wrestlers do it on purpose. We seem to have run into an influx of fans here.

One of the reasons I like this forum is the willingness to offer feedback and direction - but also the tolerance to just say, ya - you really screwed that up but next time could do xyz and improve on it.
    I think that is exactly format this forum follows, but you are likely to get a better quality answer here than most places. It's one of the few forums I've seen where you will get this last part:

next time could do xyz and improve on it.
    ...and without a river current of folks coming down on a person offering good and precise advice.

Well,learning is good,even if it costs a few dollars. It beats never learning anything. The amount of money spent here learning things is slight,anyway. What do you think it cost NASA when they found out their space telescope mirror was ground wrong? Now,that's money!! And learning to remember to not confuse metric and inch measurements cost dearly!!(I think that is what happened).

I have no intention of selling my LN or LV planes off,anyway. They are made heavier,have flatter soles than old Stanleys,and are a pleasure to work with. Nice tools inspire me to pick them up and do something with them. That's the human factor,which often goes beyond other considerations. It's why some(not me),have Rolex watches rather than Seikos or Timex. If I ever lose the romance of making things,or of enjoying nice tools,better just lower me into the ground.

One of the saddest things I ever read was about an old man who burned his tools because they had caused him so much trouble.

As for the river of fans,it hasn't been that many,but I think it does show that some things are governed by a popularity contest regardless of facts. Why did everyone re elect the same politicians? That made little sense to me.

Coming from a museum situation(about the same thing as existing in a University faculty situation where the snobbery is just incredible),I'm quite familiar with those who do not have eyes to see or ears to hear. I just cannot understand why that is. I can say,though,that the supposed "elite" curatorial types never would say anything against one of their own. They would always find some way to get around $250,000.00 dollars wasted on a bogus antique,or on large investments made in a con man with a learn-ED English accent (always convincingly quoting from the same book I had read 6 times. The elite hadn't) . Eventually,some saw the truth,but it was several years,uphill all the way.

My problem is,I'm not a political animal. I just want to get to the truth,and I don't always know how to sufficiently sugar coat it. I can tell you all that if I did a job a little wrong,I've had to do it over for free a number of times,often when the rightness or wrongness was splitting hairs. I didn't get molly coddled because it might hurt my feelings. And I didn't get angry with the customer who paid to have the job done right. When you work in that high level of customer expectations which I have,you'd better be able to deliver the goods. That,at least,has had the positive effect of making me improve my work.

Here is an example of the work I am expected to do,or re-do if not passable to the truly micrometer eyes of my customer(or whoever else I do work for): One of these is the 200 year old original. I made the other one,an ivory,boxwood,brass and iron spinning wheel flier and bobbin. No nonsense here. If it isn't what it should be,I don't get paid. And that's as it should be. Some craftsmen won't work for this person. I enjoy the challenge.

All of this won't change any minds anyway. People see what they want to see. I still believe if you are setting yourself up as a guru,be that guru.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-19-2012 at 10:13 AM.