Thread: Cordless Circular Saws

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you're already invested in a particular battery system, I would just get one that uses batteries you already have. I've had an 18v Makita in my truck for over 12 years, just because that was the batteries I used on woodworking stuff. It's still in my truck and gets used when it's the best tool for the job. I've never needed a big one to run long hours. If I'm framing a building, I use corded ones.

edited to add for Jimmy that was posting at the same time I was: Hold the trigger on your saw that the brake is not working good on for 30 seconds and let it go. If that doesn't improve the brake, the brushes may need changing.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-24-2024 at 10:04 AM.

I like my little PC trim saw. Hard to find the small blades. They are 4-5 inches. I do not remember the exact size. It is designed to cut through 2x lumber at 90.
    I would not want a heavy battery operated saw overhead.
    Looks like it is no longer made?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-24-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    edited to add for Jimmy that was posting at the same time I was: Hold the trigger on your saw that the brake is not working good on for 30 seconds and let it go. If that doesn't improve the brake, the brushes may need changing.
    It's just the design of the thing. The brake works. It just takes it a good second or two before it kicks on and then takes another half second to come to a full stop. And the brushes are good. The saw probably has 20 hours on it, as I rarely use it. But the battery powered DeWalt circular saws with a brake will stop the blade almost as soon as you release the trigger. It's a pretty stark difference in a side-by-side comparison.

Still would be worth a try though. That's the common "fix" for slowing saw brakes. I have a Porter Cable 447 that the brake gets tired on occasionally, and the running it for a while fixes it again. I only like a brake for some uses like trimming the ends of rafters when I'm standing on a scaffold plank, but don't prefer them for general use.

Look at the saw itself. For me a saw has to be righthanded, as in the blade as faraway from my leg as possible. I have seen too many jumps and kicks . Next the saw has to balance. I don't know how explain that one, but I have Makita and Chinese Milwaukee corded saws, the Milwaukee is awkward and the Makita is just right.