Thread: CA turns white

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't know if my CA problem is the same or not but when I finish my pens and use the BLO and CA method it takes a few min. and then turns white also.So 2 cedar pens have done this.
    Donny

If you can avoid accelerator, then do so. If you need it, use it sparingly.

Try some DNA before you apply the CA.
    Thin CA is the worst for me turning white with or without accl.
    So I use med. CA on most, sometimes thick.
    DNA will remove some oils ,water and dust, and dries at the snap of a finger on small thin stuff, like pens.
    I do CA finishes on most all of my pens, and a lot of my small turnings.
    Don't have many white out problems maybe 1 out of 100. and is usually caused by(friction heat) getting the blank to hot when applying PP after MM when finishing.

Leo, you're spot on! I have about the same luck as you, Peter. I will say that open grained wood is much more prone, probably for the reasons that Leo outlined; if there's space to bubble, it will. Also, I find that even dry spalted wood will occasionally bubble and turn white even if you don't use the accelerator; there's something to it more than just moisture content; perhaps someone else knows the secret. I use accelerator whenever I use CA because I don't like to pick tiny pieces of CA glue out of my hair. In other words, I like to keep turning instead of waiting!

PS; I keep meaning to take pics of the live oak bowl from the block you gave me last spring; it turned out great. The bowl is "somewhere" in the shop. WOW is that stuff hard! Also, I'm loving the books. Cheers!
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 04-04-2010 at 10:43 PM.

CA secrets

Thanks all for the thoughtful responses
    Peter

I just recently heard that using an aerosol can rather than a pump sprayer works much better - i.e. cause less whitening.

Kind of goes along with what Leo is saying above.....

I have only used the pumps.

Use aerosol spray

I have only used the aerosol and have had no problems. You can really get a fine spray with the aerosol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stolicky View Post
    I just recently heard that using an aerosol can rather than a pump sprayer works much better - i.e. cause less whitening.

Kind of goes along with what Leo is saying above.....

I have only used the pumps.

"The best things in life are not things."

I use CA finish on my pens, but I use the aerosol can and sparingly. I don't have any problems, but I don't like the pump spray.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    I don't know if my CA problem is the same or not but when I finish my pens and use the BLO and CA method it takes a few min. and then turns white also.So 2 cedar pens have done this.
    Donny
    Donny-

Cedar can make a really fine looking pen, but there are a lot of oils competing with the CA glue.

I threw away a lot of cedar pen blanks after turning as I would have a heck of a lot of streaks or white smudges in the CA finish until someone suggested soaking the pen blank in DNA for 24 hours to leech out a lot of the cedars oils. Worked like a charm ever since, and hopefully it can work for you.
    Michael
    Bellaire, TX

I was having a lot of problems with the CA on pens, so I tried the blue towel application. I am happy with the results-- also it is faster. I don't use a accelerator, just let the lathe runs a minute and it is set.
    Jerry