Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What have you built for Christmas

I made a "magic wine bottle holder," a bandsaw box (3 of those), and a pen box (2 of those). The wine holder is cocobolo. The bandsaw box is cherry and poplar. The pen box is cherry and padauk. The paduak is a single piece 6"x6"x3" that was bandsawn. Also the padauk has sapwood in the front which I thought had nice character. Pics in the order as listed above.

-R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robby Tacheny; 12-23-2008 at 2:07 PM.

Two magic wands (cherry...Rockler was fresh out of phoenix feathers and unicorn hairs, so no cores) for my Harry Potter-obsessed kids and a wooden sword (ash and cherry) for my son. I know, no pics so they don't exist, but my kids will be OK with them anyway. Merry Christmas everyone!

I whipped these 3 cutting boards out at the last minute. I finshed them with mineral oil and parafin wax, it worked real good. I also made a book shelf for my little boy. He is taking a nap right now so no pictues at the moment. I know no pictures it didn't happen, I will post later.

I'm pretty new to wood working even though I've been in construction for most of my life. I've decided to make cutting boards for the family for Christmas, and us that as my introduction to wood working. Please let me know what you think of my designs. The Halibut and round boards are padauk, the laminated board is padauk and maple, and the other is purple heart. the laminated board is my first glue up job, and was a fun learning experience.

The halibut is 26" long, the round board is 14" in diameter, the organic shaped board is 24" long, and the laminated board is 14.5" x 13".

Merry Christmas to all.

Here is the book shelf it is simple, but I wanted it to be short and stout so her couldn't pull it over. As a daily ritual he cleaned if out again today. I was going to make it with glass doors, but I wanted him to be able to get at the books. It is a lose lose situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
    I'm pretty new to wood working even though I've been in construction for most of my life. I've decided to make cutting boards for the family for Christmas, and us that as my introduction to wood working. Please let me know what you think of my designs. The Halibut and round boards are padauk, the laminated board is padauk and maple, and the other is purple heart. the laminated board is my first glue up job, and was a fun learning experience.

The halibut is 26" long, the round board is 14" in diameter, the organic shaped board is 24" long, and the laminated board is 14.5" x 13".

Merry Christmas to all.
    Tom,

All of them look great, but my favorite is the laminated one. I would like to try and build one with an end-grain lamination, again.....good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    Posted this down in the projects forum already, but will add to this list. Made two of each.

Jim,

Very neat design on these..........beautiful! You did a great job on the pictures as well, how do you get your pictures so big? Mine at 107 kb are
    small compared to yours!

santa carving

About twelve years ago i carved a santa for mom on christmas.So here is number 12.

Celtic Cutting Board

Here is my endeavor. It is made from Yellowheart and Walnut.

Just a few hours...

Quote Originally Posted by James Manning View Post
    Jim,

Very neat design on these..........beautiful! You did a great job on the pictures as well, how do you get your pictures so big? Mine at 107 kb are
    small compared to yours!
    What quality JPG's you saving at? Mine tend to be around 85%
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

James, was that tall cabinet from plans? I'm looking to build something similar for my wife.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by James Manning View Post
    How busy have you been in the shop for christmas projects? and remember no pictures, it didn't happen........ Here are my last 4 projects, I actually have done 6 but I can't find the pictures of the other one's... I also rebuilt a King Seeley craftsman bandsaw in the midst of building these projects over the last 2 1/2 months. Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and hopefully you find the time to build something from the shop for a child in need at christmas time.......I will post pic's of a 6 piece wooden train I am almost done with to be given away to a child that will not have much of a christmas. God Bless to All!!

12. It's a game called Pegs and Jokers. Unfortunately, the lighting is really bad and you can't see the walnut pieces.

And for a container for it, I made my very first box:

I didn't build anything, instead, I completely re-tooled my shop. New (to me) TS, and shaper, and I got a brand new BS. So my projects have revolved around tuning up equipment, wiring for 220, and I am getting ready to install some florescent lighting.

That isn't my favorite part of the hobby, but I felt like it was time to really put my shop together. So next year, I will be ready

I'm even farther behind than Jacob. My shop is still in the "construction stage" and won't be ready for me to move in until perhaps spring. This Christmas I couldn't make anything, but thanks to many here on Sawmill Creek, I have some great ideas for next year.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    James, was that tall cabinet from plans? I'm looking to build something similar for my wife.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes these are from plans that I purchased several years ago from plansnow.....the link is below. I have built several of these and only altered the plan on one, it really is a nice project. This one is actually for the wife..........since the other ones were built to sell, I told her this one was for a customer and stuck it in our store to hold it for them for christmas......... Should have seen her eyes tonight when we brought it in and I told her it was for her all along. I have sold all the rest and she really wanted one, so this was her's!

http://www.plansnow.com/dn1149.html

dn1149-closer.jpg