Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the 'new' mac

the 'new' mac

anyone gone to apple's site and seen the ad for the new 'ultimate' mac? guess that means all the ones people bought before were so much a lesser machine, eh? just how much longer do they think they can keep saying things like that (oh, i know - forever!). advertising cracks me up.

So....you're going to buy one, right?

Hope its better than the last one.... we had to roll all of our 10.6 machines back to 10.5 because 10.6 is a piece of crap and doesn't work with half of our graphics equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    anyone gone to apple's site and seen the ad for the new 'ultimate' mac? guess that means all the ones people bought before were so much a lesser machine, eh? just how much longer do they think they can keep saying things like that (oh, i know - forever!). advertising cracks me up.
    Pretty much forever. Read up on Freud's take on the ego and you'll start to understand why this sort of "logic" (for lack of a better word) can't be satisfied. It seems to be more prevalent with technology also.

Looks like a ripper of a machine though, but I'm a laptop guy.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 08-01-2010 at 2:58 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    Hope its better than the last one.... we had to roll all of our 10.6 machines back to 10.5 because 10.6 is a piece of crap and doesn't work with half of our graphics equipment.
    Just your imagination. Mac's are fool proof and never have problems. So I've heard.

As for advertising, it's the grease in the gears of commerce.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

So what would be the "good" version of Windows to roll back to? LOL.

Seriously, I use both and have for many years. I've recently switched my whole home over to Mac. This lets me quickly and easily do Mac, Windows, iPhone and Linux development on a fast, reliable platform without any real administration or headaches to speak of. The right tool for the right job.

Blog Entries
    Having been a Mac user for almost all of my computers, I tend to not be an early adopter of the new machines or operating systems unless it is time to replace when one comes on the market.

I would also advise people to stay with what they have if it is working for them. If you can make a change without it being an emergency, that will be the least stressful.

The machine I have now was obsoleted by a new model in less than a week after buying it. Fortunately, Apple did give me the option of upgrading at no cost to me. I decided not to do that because of the hassle of moving all the old files across was done on the new machine and I would have likely had to take another day or two to go through the process to do it all again.

I have had to use PCs at work. It always seems like a lot of work to do what comes so easy on a Mac. One example, is how many can do this on a PC:

Picture 5.png

That was just a few keystrokes and mouse clicks to capture the image and its tag. It can be captured without the tag if desired. It can be captured to the clipboard and pasted into another document if needed.

For me that is an important feature that is used daily.

The rest of the usage issues are also easier for me than on the PC. I did like the operating system under OS 9 better than OS X, but times have changed and my OS 9 machine bit the dust.

A friend of mine is a PC wizard. His biggest problem is not being able to understand that everyone is not a PC wizard.

I am not a Mac wizard. Thankfully, to get them to do almost everything I want them to do, I do not have to be a Mac wizard.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    So what would be the "good" version of Windows to roll back to? LOL.

Seriously, I use both and have for many years. I've recently switched my whole home over to Mac. This lets me quickly and easily do Mac, Windows, iPhone and Linux development on a fast, reliable platform without any real administration or headaches to speak of. The right tool for the right job.

I manage thousands of computers. PC's, Macs, piles of Linux servers (*nix is my primary skill set)... You are right, the right tool for right job. The marketing machine for Apple and their zealot following is mind boggling.

I work for a very large graphics company... the old myth about Macs being "better for graphics" is simply not true anymore. Whats worse is that the Macs always have issues with high end imaging equipment. Sure maybe it will work fine with your $25 Walmart scanner but it really sucks with big expensive Vidars or Colortracs.... not to mention all the issues 10.6 has with fonts... and can't print on high end imaging equipment. If thats what people like and it works for them (and they can afford the inflated prices), awesome. I prefer to live in reality.

In all honesty, every time I sit down at a Mac workstation I feel like I am stepping back in time and using an old IRIX box with a clunky X11 window manager.

I manage thousands of computers. PC's, Macs, piles of Linux servers (*nix is my primary skill set)... You are right, the right tool for right job. The marketing machine for Apple and their zealot following is mind boggling.

I work for a very large graphics company... the old myth about Macs being "better for graphics" is simply not true anymore. Whats worse is that the Macs always have issues with high end imaging equipment. Sure maybe it will work fine with your $25 Walmart scanner but it really sucks with big expensive Vidars or Colortracs.... not to mention all the issues 10.6 has with fonts... and can't print on high end imaging equipment. If thats what people like and it works for them (and they can afford the inflated prices), awesome. I prefer to live in reality.

In all honesty, every time I sit down at a Mac workstation I feel like I am stepping back in time and using an old IRIX box with a clunky X11 window manager.
    I am too chilled out on a sunday afternoon on my mac and also watching a great red sox game to refute all this crap

Must be lots of stupid people out there then because Apple passed Microsoft earlier this year in having the largest market capitalization.

All the haters out there should realize you don't beat Microsoft or any other company in the USA by producing crappy products that don't work.

It's a 3 week wait to get an iphone right now. Ipad's sold 4 times as many as they anticipated, yet there are still those that say it's just a company based on image, not real working products. I guess you can't let the truth get in the way of a good story, because their products fly off the shelves, cute or not.

Only 1 company in the USA is worth more and that's Exxon/Mobil. I didn't realize you could become the second largest company in the USA by producing absolute crappy products that no one wants or likes, or that's don't work well.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Sox win!...Sox win!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I didn't realize you could become the second largest company in the USA by producing absolute crappy products that no one wants or likes, or that's don't work well.
    I don't think the products are crappy. I own a computer shop and we get our share of Apple machines in for service. I own a number of Macs and Windows machines.

Overall, I've found the reliability of Apple machines above average (with some caveats like their liquid cooled units that almost universally developed leaks).

I've found the serviceability of their machines to be below average. Apple goes to great lengths to get the "look" they want, without much thought to fixing them when they do fail.

The proprietary nature of their product does contribute to problems like an inability to run Flash without a notebook's fan sounding like a jet engine.

The price is certainly high (1.5x to 2x) compared to Windows machines, too.

Apple really needs to work on serviceability, though. I had to replace the panel on a MBP the other day. They screw the panels in, but also use glue. The glue was a major PITA. And they use too much tape to hold things together, too. I'd like to take all their tape dispensers and glue bottles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Sox win!...Sox win!
    yes they did...but they made it interesting a the end. i was yelling at the TV when he brought clay back for the 9th...paps is lights out when he starts an inning...no reason not to bring him in to start the 9th. But i am not the coach

I don't think one has to be a windows wizard to make windows a useful tool. I'm not a fan of click and drag, yet that seems to be Apples bread and butter. In windows, if I want to delete a file, I highlight it and hit the delete key. Pretty simple. Apple makes you drag it to the garbage can.

If Apple floats your boat, more power to you. If Windows gets the job done, why change? The idea that Apple is vastly easier to use is overstated.

Given the fact that Apple controls the entire software/hardware platform their products run on, they better be more reliable and stable.

A point in Apple's favor is they are an innovator. MS, in my opinion, has never been an innovator. Gates was always much more interested in capturing the market and annihilating the competition or perceived competition. If someone had a good idea, MS would either acquire the technology or undermine it. How many innovations can you pack into a mature product like Office?

I have a IPod nano 3G that is almost three years old and still works fine. I love it. Not crazy that I have to use ITunes to manage it, but that's the way Apple does things. Their way or no way.

I finally got to play with an IPad today. Very cool. It may take the competition several generations to catch up with the IPad. It's a great idea.

But first to market with a great idea doesn't mean much these days.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    In windows, if I want to delete a file, I highlight it and hit the delete key. Pretty simple. Apple makes you drag it to the garbage can.
    or right click-move to trash...or highlight it and hit apple-delete...

you really don't want to get into a "windows is simpler than OSX" do you? because of all the silly arguments windows users have...that one would be the weakest.