Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who will the next "Norm" be?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    There are many possible choices for when the Master Carpenter retires. I could see many of the various magazine editors out there, such as Chris Schwartz, that might have enough of a following to be able to step into the Toolbelt. Beyond that, who knows? Maybe someone that Norm picks himself?

Doc
    My vote would also go to Chris Schwartz. The Pop woodworking shop is about 30min from the house. I got to meet him twice now. Very well schooled in his craft and a great teacher.

It could be one of the better known woodworkers that have their own school, such as Lonnie Bird, but I believe that when Norm drives his last brad, or screw on the show, that will be it. Not knocking anyone else taking over, but I just don't see anyone to replace him. When he goes, that will be a sad day.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

I enjoy watching the wood whisperer. He is knowledgeable, down to earth, sense of humor.

4. Norm is an original, and nobody will replace him. Nobody should. Who I would like to see more of is David Marks. He is my kind of woodworker. Before I get into DM, let me just say I have learned so much from Norm. His practical approach to woodworking is appealing to a wide range of people. David Marks creates pieces that trancend making boxes. His designs, choice of woods, techniques, and finishes break into new strata. I mean look at his chair

Doesn't that remind you of a prize winning dog that you just saw in the Kennel club awards. How about ornate designs

I see a lot of really incredible pieces right here at SMC. I think we should all enjoy woodworking at whatever level pleases us, while always striving to elevate our methods, and understanding.
    I think more women in woodworking holds a lot of appeal to the male of us in the industry.
    Just to stay within topic, I wish David Marks program was running on the local channels. I have Direct TV, which I love, but I have to buy a package of shows to be able to get David Marks show. I wish he was on public broadcasting. David Marks has a fondness for old tools, industrial grade, like a 16" planer, yet keeps his smaller one for normal operations. He really understands how to set them up. I was especially impressed with his band saw set up tips. He even built a sanding apparatus to dress the tires to keep an exactly even blade movement. I could go on about his shop, his dedication to the art. That is just my opinion. I TIVO every one of Norms shows, and have a huge box, going back years of VHS copies of his shows. Norm is great. David is too.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
    It could be one of the better known woodworkers that have their own school, such as Lonnie Bird, but I believe that when Norm drives his last brad, or screw on the show, that will be it. Not knocking anyone else taking over, but I just don't see anyone to replace him. When he goes, that will be a sad day.

Regards, Colin
    I completely agree. In fact, Russell Morash has already started lobbying to have the NYW enshrined in the Smithsonian, similar to Julia Child's kitchen.

The next "Norm", if there is one, will have to be someone who has popular appeal, comes across well on-screen and is able to connect with the audience. Just because someone is accomplished at woodworking, ala Chris Schwartz, doesn't mean that he will appeal to TV watchers.

For whatever reason, lots of "expert" woodworkers detest Norm but he is a favorite (with me) and among novices and many non-woodworking viewers. That's what it will take for another woodworking TV show to be successful. The host will have to appeal to more than just woodworkers, unfortunately.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Fortunately, this is PBS...

So we won't be subjected to "The Reality NYW", where 15 enterprising youths compete against each other in a nasty, backbiting contest to see who can build a chair that won't collapse the fastest, all the while libeling and voting each other off the show.

Unfortunately, I think that kind of television seems to be the only new thing that producers will buy today.

I don't get it, and refuse to watch it. It just makes me cranky.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    My vote would also go to Chris Schwartz. The Pop woodworking shop is about 30min from the house. I got to meet him twice now. Very well schooled in his craft and a great teacher.
    I agree in theory, but I got his video "Course, Medium and Fine" and had to force myself to stay awake - it took me two sessions to get through it. It was the same with "Forgotten Hand Tools". He belabors a point forever before he demonstrates anything and he's got a monotone delivery.

Personally, I don't think he has any camera appeal, but I think he's a fantastic writer and does a great job as editor of PW. I can read him and have really learned from that, but I can't watch him.

I don't ever think you will see Tom Silva replacing Norm. But, I really believe his woodworking skills are on the same plane as Norm's. I thought I heard somewhere that he has refurbished many houses and also a number of boats. You can see the work he does on TOH and Ask TOH. What I like is that he does things "correctly," and, when he is finished you won't have to touch the project for a long time.

I would really like to see him make some of the same projects that Norm makes. I think it would be tough to tell the difference in quality.

Just my thoughts............

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I completely agree. In fact, Russell Morash has already started lobbying to have the NYW enshrined in the Smithsonian, similar to Julia Child's kitchen.
    This sounds to me like he wants his shed back.

Yeah, David Marks is another one I would like to see, but I think since his show ended on DIY he will not be coming back to television, he runs a really successful school at his ranch I think now. Marc Spag. did a good interview with him that is really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    Norm is an original, and nobody will replace him. Nobody should. Who I would like to see more of is David Marks. He is my kind of woodworker. Before I get into DM, let me just say I have learned so much from Norm. His practical approach to woodworking is appealing to a wide range of people. David Marks creates pieces that trancend making boxes. His designs, choice of woods, techniques, and finishes break into new strata. I mean look at his chair

Doesn't that remind you of a prize winning dog that you just saw in the Kennel club awards. How about ornate designs

I see a lot of really incredible pieces right here at SMC. I think we should all enjoy woodworking at whatever level pleases us, while always striving to elevate our methods, and understanding.
    I think more women in woodworking holds a lot of appeal to the male of us in the industry.
    Just to stay within topic, I wish David Marks program was running on the local channels. I have Direct TV, which I love, but I have to buy a package of shows to be able to get David Marks show. I wish he was on public broadcasting. David Marks has a fondness for old tools, industrial grade, like a 16" planer, yet keeps his smaller one for normal operations. He really understands how to set them up. I was especially impressed with his band saw set up tips. He even built a sanding apparatus to dress the tires to keep an exactly even blade movement. I could go on about his shop, his dedication to the art. That is just my opinion. I TIVO every one of Norms shows, and have a huge box, going back years of VHS copies of his shows. Norm is great. David is too.

Gail O'Rourke of course!
    brace.jpg
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-20-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Just curious as to how old Norm is by the way?
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post

Rooms are not meant to be renovated in 48 hrs.
    Nor are homes meant to be built in 5-6 days......

Greg

It'll be someone you've never heard of. It's not about how much you know, but how much you can get across to your audience.

My Dad used to always ask, would you rather have a teacher who has a grasp of 90 percent of the knowledge base, but can only get across 50% of what he knows, or a teacher who grasps only 80% of the knowledge base, but can get across 90% of what he knows?

Norm has an uncanny ability to clearly and concisely explain mechanical tenchique over the TV - something obviously not so easily done if you've watched other shows.

I agree, IF they replace Norm, it will be someone you never heard of, but may have seen once. Like when Bob Vila left TOH and they replaced him with Kevin. Kevin had been one of the home owners they had worked with and they liked how he showed up on camera. Never mind that he was not an expert, his job was getting the experts to explain what they were doing.

That may not work for NYW, but the same thought that form is more important than function might still hold. They could 'dumb down' the show with someone that comes across on camera well and use a better wood-worker off camera to do the real work.