Thread: Best vintage chisels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Erik Anton Berg if you can find them. I don't know why but most of the ones I see on the 'Bay are now located in Oz.

Bruce

A friend of mine who has a large variety of vintage chisels tells me he doesn't find much, if any, difference between them. I have a much smaller selection of vintage chisels and don't see any difference.

However, certain brands seem to be in higher demand and will cost more to buy, but you'll get more for them when you sell.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    A friend of mine who has a large variety of vintage chisels tells me he doesn't find much, if any, difference between them. I have a much smaller selection of vintage chisels and don't see any difference.

However, certain brands seem to be in higher demand and will cost more to buy, but you'll get more for them when you sell.

Mike
    Agreed.

I have a pretty motley collection of chisels, some by Ohio Tool, PEXTO, Union Tool, Whitherby, Greenlee, and a couple of no-names. With one exception (a no-name) they are great chisels that take and hold a good edge. I'll admit that I haven't done any real testing between them, but in my regular use, I can't really tell a difference.

You'll generally pay a premium for Whitherby and Swan chisels though... I sprang for the Whitherby chisel I have just because I wanted to see if the hype was justified. It is a fine chisel, but I don't think I would pay any extra for a Whitherby than a PEXTO or Union, etc... I could never convince myself to pay the super premium prices that the Swan chisels command though, so maybe I'm really missing out.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    Erik Anton Berg if you can find them. I don't know why but most of the ones I see on the 'Bay are now located in Oz.

Bruce
    Bergs are very good.
    I think that they were also marketed in the US under the Beaver brandname.
    I have seen sets for sale over there and apart from the branding, they are identical to E A Bergs right down to the birch root handles.
    Perhaps an Ebay search will turn some up for you.
    regards
    MC