Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made the switch...

I made the switch...

Well, a few things were factors in my decision, but I did it... I made the full switch... To Hurricane chucks.

Again, I have no affiliation with Steve (a fellow Creeker and seller of the chucks) or the company. I just like to pass on what I think are good products for good prices.

I've posted threads before about them. Here are my reasons for switching to all Hurricane chucks:

1) I HAD 4 Strongholds, 1 Grizzly, and an HTC. Not all the keys for the Strongholds fit all the Strongholds chucks(oddly enough), so I needed two keys out. I needed another for the Grizzly, and yet another for the HTC. So, I had 4 keys out for 6 chucks. Seemed a bit silly (and proved tiresome because inevitably, I always grabbed the wrong key for the Strongholds). All the HTCs use the same key. SO, a little less headache is reason one.

2) After buying the HTC 125 chuck, I really couldn't tell any quality difference between the HTC and the Stronghold. Both are solid chucks. One just costs a whole heck of a lot more... I think I could tell the difference between the HTC and the Grizzly. There is more slop/play in the Grizzly. And overall, I just like the HTC better. Bottom line, I was impressed with the chuck!

3) I knew that my Strongholds hold their value quite well. There is no denying that they are very good chucks. Used, they fetch more than the HTCs are new. So, I knew that I could sell my Strongholds, buy all new HTCs, and still have some money left over. For me, saving money was a no brainer.

So, what did I get?

1) HTC 100 with dovetail spigot (pin) jaws
    2) HTC 100 with dovetail standard jaws
    3) HTC 100 with dovetail large jaws
    4) HTC 125 with dovetail standard jaws
    5) HTC 125 with dovetail large jaws (already had this chuck and jaw combo)

The purpose of so many is overlap. Granted, you could get one or two chucks and all the jaws and keep swapping out, but I hate doing that! I find grabbing a different chuck easier than swapping jaws.

In all honesty, with a couple of the adapters, I had to put them in more than once. But A) that was user error, and B) I had to do that with a Stronghold or two, too.

I found that the trick to installing the jaws (might be like this for all chucks, I don't know) is to set the jaws where you want them, put the screws in (but don't tighten them), close the jaws all the way so that they all set against themselves perfectly, then tighten down the screws. They align perfectly that way.

Bottom line is that no one chuck will satisfy everyone. Everyone has a favorite. They may or may not have legitimate reasons, they just do. I Ford better than Chevy? HA! Depends who you ask. Is BMW better than Audi? Same thing. There will always be those that like Strongholds because they are Strongholds. To those people, I say if you can afford them, have at it. For those who either can't afford Strongholds, or just aren't tied to the name, I believe the HTCs are a stand up chuck for 1/2 the price. Kudos to Steve for making quality chucks that are affordable.

I have to post the obligatory pics, so here you go!

SANY1817 - Copy.jpgSANY1819 - Copy.jpgSANY1821 - Copy.jpgSANY1830 - Copy.jpg

Oh, and what did I get with the extra money? Look close, and there is a little humor to it. It wasn't intentional, but funny none the less...

SANY1828 - Copy.jpg
    I drink, therefore I am.

Wink

DANG! That is a lot of iron to order all at one time.....you must not be married

I just got the 125 and I really like it. But already, I wish I have the bigger jaws.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

3. Super good info Mike.......thanks for showing them. I think they are a quality product as well. I watched his videos and was impressed by his explanations. I also think his insert design is better than the Nova chucks I use.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mike Thats sound reasoning, all my chucks are the same make as well it does simplify things
    neil

The wooden Potter

Dennis, yes I am married. The best part is that reason #3 impressed her so much that she was GLAD that I did it!!!!! Remember, I SAVED money by buying all these chucks (after selling my other ones).

Roger, that is one another thing I respect about the chucks...the seller. He IS a turner. He is a part of the turning community. He is a fellow Creeker. And he is very easy to talk to. He explains things well. And he knows his product. Give him a call. He's happy to chat.

Neil, glad I'm not the only one that appreciates the ease of simplicity. As much as money played a part in my decision, having four keys for 6 chucks was oddly almost a bigger one! The money was just the nail in the coffin.
    I drink, therefore I am.

If any of ya'll are even THINKING of getting one of the HTC 100 chucks, you should be all over the one he has up for auction now that includes the chuck AND eight sets of jaws. Starting bid...a mere $199. That is the price of the chuck with standard jaws, and two other sets of jaws. You are basically getting 5 sets of jaws for free...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the info Mike. I have been thinking of switching at least 3 or 4 of my chucks for a couple of those.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    If any of ya'll are even THINKING of getting one of the HTC 100 chucks, you should be all over the one he has up for auction now that includes the chuck AND eight sets of jaws. Starting bid...a mere $199. That is the price of the chuck with standard jaws, and two other sets of jaws. You are basically getting 5 sets of jaws for free...
    bid placed.... I'm sure it will get picked off before I win. Also bid on a SRG... EBay when tired. I don't even need another chuck.
    JP

Are the jaws interchangeable between the two sizes of chucks?

Michael, the keys are, but it looks like the jaws are not. Would make sense since the diameter of the chucks is different, and therefore the radius of the "insert arc" on the back of the jaws (for a lack of a better way of describing it) is different for the jaws of each chuck. The screw holes are different distances apart, too.
    I drink, therefore I am.

He needs to list chuck bodies w/o jaws if he is going to sell jaws w/o bodies. I have 3 or 4 sets of 50mm Nova jaws (and worm screws) in a drawer as I keep different jaws on most of my chucks. If I were to change out, I would want to either buy each chuck with a different jaw set or buy bare chucks and jaws separately.

Glad to hear there is an American manufacturer making decent chucks, though I do like my Nova chucks. I have both G2s and SN2s as well as some old PSI chucks, so I have to keep three keys out too.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thom, not to burst a bubble, but just to be clear... From what I remember Steve telling me, he tried to get the chucks made in America, but he couldn't for any sort of reasonable price. They are made in China. That is where he found a factory to make them. At least the "company" is an American company. Personally, I don't love that they are made overseas, but I bit the bullet this time...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    He needs to list chuck bodies w/o jaws if he is going to sell jaws w/o bodies.[snip]
    Thom, you're right, it looks like the chuck bodies aren't listed separately on ebay. But I see that they are available without jaws as his website, http://www.thewoodturningstore.com. Getting to them takes a couple of steps. On the pages for each of the two sizes of chuck, click on "View Options," then click the drop-down menu in the box for selecting thread size.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Thom, not to burst a bubble, but just to be clear... From what I remember Steve telling me, he tried to get the chucks made in America, but he couldn't for any sort of reasonable price. They are made in China. That is where he found a factory to make them. At least the "company" is an American company. Personally, I don't love that they are made overseas, but I bit the bullet this time...
    I remember him saying that, but that he was looking for an american company for the jaws. I guess I just assumed that he had found one since he now has a complete line of jaws.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Oh....maybe you're right! That would be great. It would be interesting to know...
    I drink, therefore I am.